PDA

View Full Version : intake installation

fieldy
02-20-2015, 03:18 AM
Hi, questions...

86 kxt....
Would you use blue locktite on the intake mounting hardware on final assembly?
Would you use high heat rtv on the intake gasket for peace of mind. I usually check the intake for tightness time to time. There's probably a mouse thinking about the same thing right now.

Answers....thanks you

-5, no garage,:crazy: cabinfeverposting

Wood stove wants more....

onformula1
02-20-2015, 03:34 AM
Would you use blue locktite on the intake mounting hardware on final assembly? Run them dry with a dab of anti seize.

Would you use high heat rtv on the intake gasket for peace of mind. run them dry like the factory, save the mess.

I usually check the intake for tightness time to time. Ok, but use a torque wrench.

There's probably a mouse thinking about the same thing right now. I don't know what you are talking about, sorry.

Torque the bolts to the factory settings.

fieldy
02-20-2015, 04:00 AM
One time I tried to start my dirt bike after the winter and the motor sucked a mouse nest into the reeds. I had to take the reeds out and get the bulk of it. Motor still runs good, Suzuki on Bel Ray!
I have a new reproduction intake off eBay and it says run the rtv. I have never seen the sealant used there before though.
I do have a small torque wrench, thanks for the reminder. I will find out if it seals well with a leakdown test. Good ideas, thanks.

jeswinehart
02-20-2015, 07:37 AM
With each Tecate intake I make/sell I include a little note that says even though I form in the factory sealing lip (nobody else make them dose that) I still recommend to use a light coat of yamabond,Hondabond or red high temp silicone on the mounting side.
Tighten down in a criss cross pattern (like you would a rim).
The only gasket used is between the reed cage and jug.
I can't say I would recommend to use lock tight on the intake boot mounting screws unless you have some really sloppy worn out threads in the bolt holes,,, just my opinion

john.

fieldy
02-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the part and the information, that is what i will do. The part i got from you looked perfect! Is there anyone making an airbox for the 86 kxt? I am posting a lot to get full access, sorry folks! I haven't seen the classifieds yet.