PDA

View Full Version : COMPUTER HELP - Not sure if a rocket scientist is necessary.....

Dirtcrasher
02-21-2015, 11:55 PM
Hey guys, just restored, back to factory, Dads Compaq about 5 years old.

Dads infested PC.

It was always a clusterfark!! So, I get it all down and restored and it cannot find an internet connection. I need Mozzila, Ghostery, malaware bytes, google earth, ETC.

There is a button to turn on WiFi on the PC, that is on and lit up white.

I put in the WEP KEY# and the ESSID# and it said try connection again, nothing

Troubleshoot the following - blah blah blah.................. All seemed fine.

I didn't have this issue last time but I also don't recall an issue either??!!

Yeah I google'd some stuff, I reset (unplugged the router for 30 minutes) and the self diagnostics have nothing for me.

Anywhere you'll might head somewhere other than what I'm doing next and have a real laptop......

ANY SUGGESTIONS?? Thanks in advance.

I'll try a direct ethernet connection. That will tell us something AAYE??!! Maybe it won't have a port :( ..............

Dirtweed
02-22-2015, 12:29 AM
Is the driver for the Ethernet card installed? You can check the Device Manager to see if it is working.

dave ytz250s
02-22-2015, 12:56 AM
Hi Dirtcrasher, I'm no expert but my wife is, first thing reset everythig router & modem with the small button you can reach with a toothpick then try to connect another device to your wifi network.
If you have a connection with another device and you still can't connect your laptop you can try downloading the latest drivers for your wireless network card on http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html and if it still doesn't work you can try a usb dongle.

(wireless network card)not sure if it's named that way all computers here are in french
also if you have more than one computer with the same name on the network you can connect only one at a time

Devilsclaw
02-22-2015, 08:46 PM
You might need new drivers for the computers card/adapter. Ive had this happen when "restoring" an old computer. You can look it up . To see if it has the current drivers. Then download using another computer and transfer via a flash drive .