PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft Bearings

ddiggerr
02-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Quick question ........ I removed some pretty bad bearings from engine today. It sounded like there full of sand.

Went and purchased new. I did have originals with me so the guy knew what I needed. Now when I get home they did not match. What he gave me were bearings like I would use for my wheels.

Is this going to be an issue, or is it safe to use?

Jmoozy27
02-28-2015, 12:56 AM
Bearings from inside the engine are open faced so the oil can lubricate the bearing efficiently. Did you tell the guy that they were going in an engine?

ddiggerr
02-28-2015, 02:33 AM
Bearings from inside the engine are open faced so the oil can lubricate the bearing efficiently. Did you tell the guy that they were going in an engine?

I did tell him what the bearings were from, however, I don't remember saying they were from the crank shaft.

My Bad.

Thanks

YTZ drew
02-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Are they rubber sealed or metal shielded type? You can remove either to make it an open bearing, but the rubber seals are easier to remove though. Just use a small flathead screwdriver and pop the seals out, then wash out all the grease so it won't interfere with the oil you use. I have done this before, the crank bearings in my IT425 had rubber seals when I bought them from my local electric motor rebuilder.