PDA

View Full Version : Hello, can some trike experts help me?

Nathan72
03-01-2015, 03:27 PM
Hello, my name is Nathan. I'm new here, but would like some advice on what to do. A friend recently sold his trike to me. It is a 1984 Honda 200cc Big Red. It's not in too good of shape, but I saw potential. The engine runs. I've seen him drive it a few times and it didn't look that bad from a distance. The engine itself is filthy and needs to be clean. All other parts of the bike are either broken or in very bad shape. Here's a list of what it needs that I know of.

1. It needs to be cleaned. I plan to take it apart and clean it piece by piece as soon as I have free time.
2. It needs a recoil starter. He push started it. As if that wasn't bad enough, without the pull start, the fly wheel spins freely and appears very dangerous to ride with it spinning so close to your leg.
3. Needs the electrical side reworked. Wires can be seen cut and dangling outside the air box.
4. Needs a headlight. The bars around it and plastic are good. I think the wires are good, but it needs the light itself and I imagine a piece to hold it in place.
5. Needs brake handles on both sides.
6. Probably needs new brake wires.
7. I think it needs a front brake. Back brakes should be good.
8. Needs new back fenders. They are cracked and missing some large parts of the fender. The right side is missing a large part of it and has tin covering it.
9. Needs a set of matching tires. I've got mixed atv tires on it right now to roll it around.
10. Needs a gear shift lever.

I think that's all. I'm pretty sure I could push start it right now like he did, but I refuse to even attempt riding it until it is safe to ride. Anyways, my question is. What has the most profit potential and would be easy enough for me to do. I am 16 and know how to fix most of this on my own. What I can't do, my dad can help with. I have a moderate budget and will put some money into it if I can make more back. Roughly how much do you guys think it could be worth sold as is? After cleaning it first though. How much could it be worth after restoring? Is there a good enough market for parts that I could sell the parts relatively easily? Which of these would be my best options. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jmoozy27
03-01-2015, 11:12 PM
Some pics would help determine what your up against. 3 wheelers are kind of an acquired taste and aren't very profitable unless you know what you are doing. They are fairly easy to work on compare to newer atvs. If you plan on keeping it then the model you are describing is a good utility machine. As far as parting out or selling complete you can likely get between 500-800 dollars for that machine if it is in tip top shape. If you put about 250 into it and spent wisely you may have a shot. But it's a crapshoot.

Footy
03-01-2015, 11:18 PM
I would find another ATC with a bad engine and use yours. The ATC 185,200s,200m 200E or 200x should accept the engine you have.

jcgriff
03-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Hello, my name is Nathan. I'm new here, but would like some advice on what to do. A friend recently sold his trike to me. It is a 1984 Honda 200cc Big Red. It's not in too good of shape, but I saw potential. The engine runs. I've seen him drive it a few times and it didn't look that bad from a distance. The engine itself is filthy and needs to be clean. All other parts of the bike are either broken or in very bad shape. Here's a list of what it needs that I know of.

1. It needs to be cleaned. I plan to take it apart and clean it piece by piece as soon as I have free time.
2. It needs a recoil starter. He push started it. As if that wasn't bad enough, without the pull start, the fly wheel spins freely and appears very dangerous to ride with it spinning so close to your leg.
3. Needs the electrical side reworked. Wires can be seen cut and dangling outside the air box.
4. Needs a headlight. The bars around it and plastic are good. I think the wires are good, but it needs the light itself and I imagine a piece to hold it in place.
5. Needs brake handles on both sides.
6. Probably needs new brake wires.
7. I think it needs a front brake. Back brakes should be good.
8. Needs new back fenders. They are cracked and missing some large parts of the fender. The right side is missing a large part of it and has tin covering it.
9. Needs a set of matching tires. I've got mixed atv tires on it right now to roll it around.
10. Needs a gear shift lever.

I think that's all. I'm pretty sure I could push start it right now like he did, but I refuse to even attempt riding it until it is safe to ride. Anyways, my question is. What has the most profit potential and would be easy enough for me to do. I am 16 and know how to fix most of this on my own. What I can't do, my dad can help with. I have a moderate budget and will put some money into it if I can make more back. Roughly how much do you guys think it could be worth sold as is? After cleaning it first though. How much could it be worth after restoring? Is there a good enough market for parts that I could sell the parts relatively easily? Which of these would be my best options. Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes definitely get a spare trike and swap out bad parts for good parts. I've done this with my 86 big red 250. One year later because of money and no time its finally coming together and totally worth it. You've got a classic pal! And what do people with classics do? Restore them!

86125m
03-03-2015, 10:57 PM
Really need picture to tell. It sounds like you got a restoration on your hands I'm just finishing up a restoration on my 84 200m similar to your big red in most respects. The key thing with restoration is to take your time and get it done right. Most of the parts you need should be pretty easy to find. the hardest part will be the rear fenders that you need.