PDA

View Full Version : '84 200s dumping fuel into air box even after rebuild

durriej
03-07-2015, 11:26 PM
I was just recently given an '84 200s that had sat for awhile. Upon initial start it would not idle and died. I noticed that it was dumping fuel (stream) into the air box and flooding out. I removed the carb, did a rebuild kit on it and it continues to do the same. I have torn it down numerous times, dipped in carb cleaner etc.. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing it. I have in the mean time ordered a new carb but I would still like to get the stock one working as intended. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bigredder
03-07-2015, 11:59 PM
I was just recently given an '84 200s that had sat for awhile. Upon initial start it would not idle and died. I noticed that it was dumping fuel (stream) into the air box and flooding out. I removed the carb, did a rebuild kit on it and it continues to do the same. I have torn it down numerous times, dipped in carb cleaner etc.. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing it. I have in the mean time ordered a new carb but I would still like to get the stock one working as intended. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had a problem with fuel going out my overflow, and it turns out it was the choke plunger. I know yours isn't coming out the overflow but this might still be the cause. However, a more probable cause would be the needle and seat (of course the rebuild kit should've fixed that). Does yours have a plastic float or a metal float? If it is metal, then it might just need to be adjusted. Hope you figure it out. :)

durriej
03-08-2015, 12:07 AM
I had a problem with fuel going out my overflow, and it turns out it was the choke plunger. I know yours isn't coming out the overflow but this might still be the cause. However, a more probable cause would be the needle and seat (of course the rebuild kit should've fixed that). Does yours have a plastic float or a metal float? If it is metal, then it might just need to be adjusted. Hope you figure it out. :)
Plastic float. I figured rebuild would have fixed it too but it's the exact same problem as before rebuild. Gas did come out of the overflow until I reattached the line. I cleaned the float valve hole with a q-tip, carb cleaner and even blew it out. It just has me stumped. It'll run for a few minutes long as you tend the throttle but then eventually floods out. I turn the gas off, open the choke pull it until the gas is out then it'll fire and run again. I also tried adjusting the carb but it doesn't help the situation at all, it still continues to pour out. Could the float be possible worn? As if it's not pushing the float valve in enough?

bigredder
03-08-2015, 01:22 AM
Plastic float. I figured rebuild would have fixed it too but it's the exact same problem as before rebuild. Gas did come out of the overflow until I reattached the line. I cleaned the float valve hole with a q-tip, carb cleaner and even blew it out. It just has me stumped. It'll run for a few minutes long as you tend the throttle but then eventually floods out. I turn the gas off, open the choke pull it until the gas is out then it'll fire and run again. I also tried adjusting the carb but it doesn't help the situation at all, it still continues to pour out. Could the float be possible worn? As if it's not pushing the float valve in enough?

Not sure. It could be but if it isn't filling with gas it should be fine. But try detaching the cable from your choke plunger but leave choke plunger in carb. Worked for me, I don't know how it did but it did. It's worth a shot.

durriej
03-12-2015, 04:41 PM
OK so new carb came in and I installed it. No more leaking however now it only stays running on full choke. I'm assuming the mixer needs to be adjusted? What's a good rule of thumb when adjusting?

sanchez
03-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Unless it gets only race gas everything I got, including ford N series tends to leak a little
Darn new gas
Just turn the petcock off and ride it a little turn on for a moment then off briefly a few times
Works

Pump; Pump your petcock

webbch
03-22-2015, 11:11 PM
OK so new carb came in and I installed it. No more leaking however now it only stays running on full choke. I'm assuming the mixer needs to be adjusted? What's a good rule of thumb when adjusting?

I rebuilt the motor on my '84 200s and LOVE it....more than my '84 200x for screwing around, truth be told. First thing is to warm the engine up. Next, I start with the pilot screw at the stock setting (screw it all the way in, then back it out something on the order of 2-1/4 turns from memory, but use whatever the manual calls out), and adjust the idle speed up until I don't have to hold the throttle. From there, I turn the pilot screw either direction to find the max engine rpm. There should be a "sweet spot", before and after which engine RPM drops off. If you run out of range on the pilot screw while trying to find it, then it's time to go up or down a size on the pilot jet. Once you find it, drop the idle to spec RPM and call it good. If it doesn't run good enough to perform these steps, then something else is wrong. Lots of times, I see where the pilot screw has to be almost all the way in to compensate for the fact that it's missing the small oring.