PDA

View Full Version : ATC buying blues

ryanbsimmcon
03-13-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm a newbie, got the bug, and got duped! I picked up a 1984 110 for $500 from a guy who obviously knew his stuff. He had a 125 motor in a 70, and the coolest built Samurai ever. He told me it didn't idle cause it needed a carb cleaning. I couldn't ride it cause it had paddles. Well, after cleaning the carb 50 times, buying a new carb, I decided to ride it. It had no power. Missing airbox,boot, front fender, back registration fees. I got duped! I will carry a compression tester next time. By the way, anyone know the correct threads I need on a compression tester for these small spark plug threads? The threads on mine are too large. Anyone have recommendations between rebuilding top end or new Lifan motor I've been reading about? Thanks

ddiggerr
03-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Wow, and I thought I was the only one. I was also royally duped and paid the same amount, but for a Yamaha YT125. I was told it was a YT175. The trike now sits in a hundred different pieces and I am currently trying to straighten a bent frame.

Hope you have better luck getting yours running than I am having. Good Luck

Degoragon
03-13-2015, 01:48 PM
usually a sign of trouble is if you pull it slowly and you barely feel any resistance. Pull it twice, a feel for resistance on the second pull, make sure to pull slowly. if you dont feel any resistance whn you pull, then it likely needs rings. This isnt foolproof, but a start.

Anyways, does it smoke alot too, if so, than it needs rings. Id also recommend a gasket set, cause it may be losing compression through there. Look for oil leaks and /smoke when its running.

Rings should be about $23. Make sure you get the correct bore size, check to see its a standard piston or an overbored one.

piston rings and a gasket set should solve it.

If it Has good compression, then it may be in the transmission.

T-Sox
03-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Stop!

Before you do anything make sure the valves are in adjustment. It would suck to rip everything apart only to find all it needed was a valve adjustment.

ryanbsimmcon
03-13-2015, 05:08 PM
No resistance on the pull cord. But no smoke! I will check the valves. Thanks for the help! The symptoms are lack of power and won't idle.

just ben
03-14-2015, 08:34 AM
If the valves are too tight you will lose compression thus losing power and poor or no idle. If it's not smoking I would put my money on valve adjustment. Check the oil also no oil =no smoke if the rings are bad.