PDA

View Full Version : Question about snowmobiles

catfishwhisker
12-03-2002, 12:30 AM
Since I live in Tennessee, I don't get to see many snowmobiles here. Matter of fact, I've only seen 1 before. I was just wondering (since 2-strokes will eventually be fazed out), are any 4-strokes? I know some of the PWC manufacturers are coming out with 4-strokes. I figure the snowmobiles will all be 4-strokes someday. Would the 4-stroke be faster than the 2-stroke on the snowmobile? I know some of the 4-stroke ATV's that we have now run as good and a lot of the time better than the 2-strokes. But don't get me wrong, I love 2-strokes. It don't take a ton of money to make them scream, unlike the 4-stroke where it takes a arm and a leg to make them fast. Anyway, I was just sitting here thinking about that and figured all you Northern guys on here would have some input.

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-03-2002, 12:35 AM
yes, there is alot of 4 stroke snowmobiles being manufactured, yamaha has came out with alot of them...check out yamahas website for pics of a couple

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-03-2002, 12:37 AM
and by the way, these sleds are fast stock

OldSchoolin86
12-03-2002, 12:42 AM
Yamaha makes one, the RX-1. There is another version of it the RX-1 ER. It's new this year so I'm interested to see how it does. It's got a version of the R-1 rocket motor in it. Any other 4-stroke sleds I've seen haven't been up to par with the 2-strokes yet so we'll see.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/sno/250/03rx1_SN001-01.jpg

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/sno/250/03rx1_SN004-01.jpg

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/sno/500/03rx1_SN024-01.jpg

atckowalski
12-03-2002, 02:06 AM
I THINK ARCTIC CAT MAKE A 660 SOMETHING 4 STROKER TOO AND IM SURE THAT MORE WILL FOLLOW HONDA?????

boneidaho
12-03-2002, 03:21 PM
Every year a competition is held with Universities across the nation to see who can make the cleanest running snowmobile engine. 2 year's ago, there was one University who made a 2 stroke cleaner running than a 4 stroke. So,I wouldn't say that 2 strokes are on their way out. They are making 2 strokes cleaner every year so I do believe 4 strokes are here to stay, but 2 strokes are not going away either. I went snowmobiling 2 times in November, and ya gotta love the smell of that 2 stroke oil ! Rode 75 miles the 29th. Idaho has 7500 miles of groomed trail's. More than any other state. Not to mention mountain climbing location's all over the state. I live at 4800 feet above sea level, and can see the Grand Teton's in Wyoming from my back yard which are 13000 feet plus over sea level, and other mountain ranges that are 10000 feet plus. We climb these mountain ranges except the Teton's cause they are a National Park. It takes a powerful sled to climb these, and no 4 stroke is light, or powerful enough yet to compete with the 2 strokes. Lighter is better for climbing. I've been at 11000 feet plus and it is practically straight up climbing to get there, and would make the average person cry because of the steep climb, and coming back down is worse. :shock: Trust me ! I've been there, and the pucker factor is 110% !! :shock: Even avalanches are caused by snowmobilers who ride in what you would call forbidden locations. :shock: I say forbidden cause it's so dangerous, not because it's forbidden to ride there. :-P The climbing can start at 6000 feet, and go to 11-12000 feet depending where in the west you go ride. It takes power, and less weight !! Long live the 2 stroke !! I hope you didn't mind a WESTERNER'S point of view ! :D

catfishwhisker
12-04-2002, 12:39 AM
Well I hope that 2-strokes will be around for a long time. There's nothing like that sound, smell, and hard hitting power! Thanks for the reply guys.

xmen
12-04-2002, 10:29 PM
In fact , the first Bombardier Ski-Doo (1960) came from the factory with a 4 stroke Kolher engine or with a 2 stoke Rotax...
Visit bombardier.com and find out the new 4 stroke engine for 2003...

12-04-2002, 10:34 PM
I think that yamaha just came out with a R1 sled that uses the four cyl engine out of their street bike. The sled makes like 145 hp and for what im hearing is a real screamer. it looks real bad too!!!

12-04-2002, 10:36 PM
ok i guess that i missed to post about the yamaha, old news lol sorry

OldSchoolin86
12-04-2002, 10:54 PM
That thing is sweet looking! My buddies at work sled a lot and were going to get some but said the price isn't reasonable yet. I don't know myself though.

HemiChallenger71
12-04-2002, 11:31 PM
2 strokes can be made clean and not burn oil and still make the power they do now. It's not very hard, It's just everyone thinks they have no potential, yet they really do. Take a 4 stroke that makes X amount of power and weighs X amount, and creates X amount of emissions. Take a 2 stroke that makes the same power, it will be 1/2 the size, 1/2 the weight, make the same power and make the same emissions(this is when we have perfected the 2 stroke more). Almost all of your big diesels in locomotives and ships are 2 stroke diesels. I say use the same tech. in 2 stroek diesels in 2 stroke gas motors and you have a winner. Here's a cool site: www.howstuffworks.com

As for sleds, boats, jet skis, ATV's, bikes, as well as some small cars I think they should be 2 stroke, or rotary powered. Most of these machines emphasize light weigh and manuverability, and the peaky 2 stroke power (rotary power too) and weight are perfect for these machines. A 4 stroke only hurts these machines, because they are heavier, have more low end power, and will suck the same amount of gas as long as you don't have your foot in it. 2 strokes are kind of like rotary motors. Lower RPM's, and you get good gas mileage, have a lead foot, and your gas mileage is TERRIBLE. Also, 2 strokes and rotary engines are much much more reliable than 4 strokes because they have less moving parts, and have nothing to perform matinence on really.

catfishwhisker
12-05-2002, 12:32 AM
Good points Hemi. I like both. I like the low end grunt of the 4-stroke and also the hard hitting power of the 2-stroke. One comparison that I can relay on is on the 4-stroke outboard motors. I've always had 2-strokes on my boats, but last year I went and bought a new Honda 4-stroke. I'll never have another 2-stroke on a boat! The new Honda is the same H.P. as my old Mercury, but it's quicker out of the hole and faster on top end. It also uses about half of the gas that the 2-stroke does. Of course, if it ever tears up, I can expect to pay a whole lot more to have it fixed than the 2-stroke. Like you said, a lot more moving parts. But both of them are reliable if you just take care of them. I like not having to worry about mixing the oil and gas too. Both have good points and bad points. I guess it's just up to the individual on what he/she likes.

OldSchoolin86
12-05-2002, 01:13 AM
4-strokes will always be better on fuel useage. 2-stroke diesles were tried for a while in semi's but it didn't stick.

Tri Moto
12-05-2002, 12:13 PM
They didnt stick in semi's is because Detriot is really the only one who made a decent one nad no one liked them because htey didnt make bags of power compared the 4 strokes, so they never went aywhere with it.
Im sure if they stuck with it and perfected a 2 stroke diesel in a tactor trailer they'd still be in them today. Just my .02

kimmer250r
12-05-2002, 02:22 PM
The fact is you can make your current 2 stroke almost as clean as a 4 stroke or cleaner. The university study that you were talking about is a competition between different schools on who can make the cleanest running, most power, best mileage, and most efficient motor. A two stroke came in 2nd in 2000 and 1st in 2001. This motor is able to do it because of the oil that is runs. This oil is awsome. I have been using this oil for about 1 month now and it does everything that it claims. More power, higher rpms, better mpg, ect. Don't expect an instant change, it takes about 4 or 5 tanks to notice that it is starting to work. The chemical in it soaks into the metal and creates a thermal berrier. This oil is called Blue Marble Oil. You can buy it from www.nulubes.com for $119.00 a case which is 4 gallons. Kind of pricey but worth it. Check the stuff out, I think you guys will love it after you try it. It is a almost clear oil with a detergent smell to it. Its good stuff! Hope this helps.

200xer
12-05-2002, 06:08 PM
Our school does the snowmobile contest (University at Buffalo) Our school turbo charged a 600cc (I believe) four stroke. It had a lot of catalyst stuff on it. It is also fuel injected. There is no detectable amount of emissions coming from it and it runs at like 65 db. Cars going down the highway are louder. But it wasn't the fastest sled out, only did about 55 I guess. It's hard to beat the power of a 2 stroke though.