PDA

View Full Version : Brake drum removal

Pugslee
03-16-2015, 12:25 PM
I need to replace the shoes on my 1985 atc125m and wondered how the drum came off.
I have removed the wheel and axle stub, undone the two big nuts and removed the 6 bolts and drum cover. how do I now get the drum off.
is it threaded on to the shaft same as the two large nuts or just pushed on.
thanks

Ghostv2
03-16-2015, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure if the 125 is the same but mine on other machines were just pressed on. Sometimes they can be a pain. Especially if a nice groove has been worn into it. Just slowly work it off working your way around the drum.

efatka
03-16-2015, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure if they are the same as the 110, I was out of try pulling one, came back a week later and it just fell off.

Big G
03-20-2015, 04:19 PM
As mentioned it should pull off, but guaranteed it will be a bugger to slide off if it's been a while since it was last removed. You may want to tap the end of the axle on the same side to get the drum to break free, but remember not to mess up the threads on the end of the axle when doing so. A block of wood between axle and hammer works well. Also remember to remove the o-ring that is between those 2 large nuts you mentioned and the drum or you will be forcing the drum over it, which will increase your grief.