PDA

View Full Version : Living my dream, finally.

dzolalaw
03-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Hello everyone:

I am a new member to this site and a new member at vintage three wheeling in general. I grew up during the three wheeler era, watching as they rose in popularity and unfortunately witnessing their downfall. It wasn't until about 6 months ago that I realized, they all disappeared, literally haven't seen one in decades where I'm from. My interest peaked, I started some research and found this whole community of three wheeler enthusiasts and a lot of nice (and not so nice) vintage three wheelers still around. Back in the 80's I would have died to have one, but like many others, my family was not able to afford one, so the closest I ever got was 3Wheeler magazine, which I picked up monthly at the local mom and pop variety store. Three decades later, I'm in the fortunate position to now have the machines I used to dream about. My interest is not only in three wheelers (although they are my favorite), I kinda like the older iconic looking legendary machines of that era. First thing I bought was a beautiful 1985 Honda 250r. After that, I talked the same collector into parting with a great 1987 Suzuki LT 500 Quadzilla. You would think I would be happy, but owning these vintage pieces is addicting. I am looking to round out my collection with a 1986-1987 Tecate 3. Back in the 80's I drooled over all three of these machines when I saw them in the magazines and now I'm almost complete. Just seeing them in my garage makes me feel like a kid again and instantly brings a smile to my face. And my bikes don't just sit there, I ride them. To me, part of the experience is the ride, it's the most important part to me. I also kinda like the look on people's faces when I pull up on the 250r and thy are like "what the hell is that, that thing is supercool". See, back then, each bike had its own unique stance and look, which you don't see anymore. Anyway, glad to join the community, I'm eager to learn everything there is to know. And hey, if anyone knows of an honest good condition 86-87 Tecate for sale, send em my way!

Thanks,
Daniel

prometheus
03-21-2015, 05:15 PM
Welcome. I love to ride, but to me I am a wrench turner. I love nothing more than to take a heap of metal and bring it back to its glory days. Of course the test ride after is like the icing on the cake. I remember seeing a few here and there growing up but we lived in a poor neighborhood so my friends and I would all stare and drool when we saw one wishing we were that guy. Like you I now have the opportunity to own some. I have 4 of them now and just bought a honda dirt bike from the same era. It's addicting. I love it when I buy one and the guy says, "You can use it for parts I guess." And the look on his face when I say I'm gonna fix it and plan to be riding it soon. To me the wrenching brings as much a smile as the riding.

dzolalaw
03-21-2015, 06:50 PM
I agree 100% on the wrenching, I never had mechanical skills but now I do my own work because it is awesome and makes you feel a sense of accomplishment. Between the internet and a few books I bought, I've been able to do all my own work and had great success. Not only does it give me a greater sense of accomplishment but it ensures that the work is done up to my standards, no cutting corners. Plus it saves tons of money on labor! Savings aside though, the wrenching really is part of the passion, I too love it and I'm glad there are others with this addiction, because people were starting to worry about me, now I can send them the link to this forum! Lol

ironchop
03-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Welcome!

No bragging without pics.

Post up those machines.

dzolalaw
03-22-2015, 07:12 AM
1985 250R
1987 LT500R
2001 Banshee

dzolalaw
03-22-2015, 07:20 AM
The best part. My son getting his first feel.

Dirtweed
03-22-2015, 09:18 AM
And my bikes don't just sit there, I ride them.
I also kinda like the look on people's faces when I pull up on the 250r and thy are like "what the hell is that, that thing is supercool".
See, back then, each bike had its own unique stance and look, which you don't see anymore.

Now this is the right mindset. :-) Those are some nice machines you have!

YTZ drew
03-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Welcome! Thats a very nice collection you have. Enjoy them!

atc007
03-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Awesome post! I live under 2 hours from you. I have collected a few machines over the years. You're welcome to come visit. Email me sometime. Very nice machines! I like your style! And,,,, they are out there,,just takes WAYYY too much time away from more important things to acquire them :)

loshe191
03-22-2015, 01:30 PM
Welcome nice collection you have.

Joseph Farrow
03-22-2015, 01:48 PM
Welcome!
That Quadzilla is in excellent shape.

dzolalaw
03-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful comments and all the warm welcomes. Nice to find a group that shares the passion.

Racer-X
04-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Oooweee those are nice clean machines. How does that banshee compare to the quadzilla? Which one of the 3 feels the fastest? I always wanted a quadzilla.
P.s if your into unique legendary machines of that era......what about the Honda odeyssey FL350 2 stroke 1 seater dune buggy or the Yamaha bw350? Just throwing them out there.

danbur55
04-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Don't forget most shops won't even take in older machines so if you want it to run you will have to fix it yourself but pride will help

350for350
04-18-2015, 08:40 AM
All three are very desirable machines. Nice!

Hunting Chip
04-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Nice collection!!!

a7t0c
04-22-2015, 11:58 PM
Over the years I had a 89 banshee, a red and black 96 banshee, and a 87 lt500 hundred that was bought with no motor. I put a Honda cr500 motor in it and had a lot of fun. There's nothing like the punch of a two stoke when it hits the power band. Wish I still had those machines. Yours look great.

Onetrackmind
04-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Man...that's an awesome collection that you now have! Congratulations! I just have the 85R, but have definitely been bitten by the bug...now looking for a 350X and a 250ES.

Don't forget most shops won't even take in older machines so if you want it to run you will have to fix it yourself but pride will help
This is so true. I finally found a local shop that could service nitrogen (surprisingly very few in DFW) and when I brought my R up there, I was on my own to get it into the shop. It was a CASH transaction and it felt like they couldn't wait to get me outta there! They were nice about it, but I could tell that this Honda dealer was very uncomfortable having a trike in their shop!

Donnie"P"
06-04-2016, 11:31 PM
Hey Daniel sounds like my story as a kid and I have started to buy the same ones I have an 85 350x & recently purchased a 87 Lt 500 as well both original bikes with the exception of pipes! Both still have the original tires as well. I am also looking for a 86/87 tecate 3 good luck to you on your search! I'm out here in Utah and rarely see tecate's for sale.
The guy I got the quadzilla from bought a Tiger 500 brand new I'd never even heard of one till he mentioned it he provided pictures of it and now I'm chasing down the leads to find it!!👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼