PDA

View Full Version : 85' Yamaha YTM200ERN Battery not charging (rectifier/regulator)

mgp32
03-25-2015, 02:00 PM
I was going to post this on another thread but for whatever reason I new guy can't do that?

Anyways, I have an 85' YTM200ERN that runs pretty darn good but it doesn't seem to charge my battery while running. The battery is brand new as of yesterday and is charged to about 13VDC. When I start up the 3 wheeler the voltage drops from cranking it over then gets back up to about 12.6V and it stays there and it doesn't raise up at all either when reving it up. From what I gathered it looks like the rectifier could be my issue.

Couple of questions for you guys...

1) I plan on measuring the voltage out of the magneto and if I have around 20VAC out of there, chances are good it should be the rectifier if I dont have any connection issues?

2) If it is indeed the rectifier, do you guys know of any good places to buy w/out spending an arm and a leg? I read on this site of a universal one a guy recommended (wanted to post on that topic but couldnt) . Here is the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-VOLTAGE-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-HONDA-250CC-200CC-VR02-/310291853587?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483ed5f113&vxp=mtr

I wouldnt mind purchasing that and soldering it in place but Im wondering if it comes with a schemetic? Otherwise it would just be a guessing game and thats no fun.

Thanks for any help guys!

mgp32
03-26-2015, 07:40 AM
Update:

I measured AC volts across the 2 wires coming from the stator and it held at 1.9VAC. I'm now thinking this is my issue. I farted around with a lot of toys but never had to replace a stator/coil.Any advice on what to look at or how to further troubleshoot? Also, does anyone have any step by step instructions out there on how to repair this? Couldnt find any videos on the interwebs.

Thanks for any help!

Jordyraye
04-12-2015, 11:53 PM
I found the resistance values for all the coils somewhere on google. Unfortunately I can't remember where. But it is an easy job to replace any of them. Simple solder job.