PDA

View Full Version : How do i adjust the rear brakes and brake lever on a 1983 trimoto 175?

Undertakur
03-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Hello, how do I adjust the the rear brake lever and rear brakes on a 1983 175 trimoto? the bolt outside the brake housing is way out. so I assume I have a lot of pad left. I don't understand how to adjust the 2 cables back there with the brake lever and brake pad adjusting bolt. Is there a free manual download somewhere showing illustration? Thanks for any help!

AntMan3Wheels
03-26-2015, 05:02 PM
Just tighten both the nuts back by the disc. Ones for the hand brake and ones for the foot brake. Tighten them up until you can feel the pads rubbing the disc by pushing and pulling the grab bar, Then adjust as needed. That bike is light weighing in at 227 lbs., that's seven pounds more than a suzuki LT80. No wonder mine use to run with the 250's. I could never get the foot pedal to feel right , so I always used the left hand brake. It's hell converting to all the other machines with hydraulic foot brakes when practicing wheelies after getting off a YT175. Good Luck

Undertakur
03-26-2015, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=AntMan3Wheels;1360922]Just tighten both the nuts back by the disc. Ones for the hand brake and ones for the foot brake. Tighten them up until you can feel the pads rubbing the disc by pushing and pulling the grab bar, Then adjust as needed. That bike is light weighing in at 227 lbs., that's seven pounds more than a suzuki LT80. No wonder mine use to run with the 250's. I could never get the foot pedal to feel right , so I always used the left hand brake. It's hell converting to all the other machines with hydraulic foot brakes when practicing wheels after getting off a YT175. Good Luck[/QUOTE

I did that, but the brake lever is hard to squeeze. the rear adjusting bolt is way out. if I turn that in just a little, it doesn't roll. do I have to adjust that with everything else?

AntMan3Wheels
03-27-2015, 05:41 PM
Adjust the hand brake to all the way in as if the bike was brand new. Same thing with both nuts by the disc back them off to the very ends, not to much so the springs pop the nut off then squeeze. Then try to roll it. Before you do any adjusting does the foot pedal hard to press? Many of these machines were left out side their whole life and the cable is rusted. I own a kawasaki cable luber that I used to have a part number for when I worked as parts counter man at a dealership. I was the only why to buy a cable luber is if you had a part number from a kawasaki Rep. Now you can get them through Parts Unlimited from any dealer. Somewhere I still have my owners manual for my YT175. I'm helping you now I'm looking at my manual for my YT60 Tri Zinger. If you need pads tell your dealer Parts Unlimited Part#149211 $17.95 and for cables hand brake 072338 $10.95 and foot brake K28-3591 $15.95. Does the drum front have any issues? Give me the run down on where and how you found this bike. Mechanical disk brakes are not as tough as hydraulic discs are just ask anyone with a pre 2003 Yamaha Blaster.

Undertakur
03-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the info!

MonroeMike
03-27-2015, 11:22 PM
More info here.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/126386-YT125-175-Service-Data