PDA

View Full Version : Polaris 425 Magnum opinions

tripledog
03-28-2015, 09:03 PM
I have the opportunity to trade a few of my older small displacement motorcycles for a 1995 Polaris Magnum 425 that is in very nice shape. It has a winch operated plow, and would be perfect for my needs (maybe). I was ready to pull the trigger on this deal until I found out that it has a chain final drive. I would be using it only to plow walkways, and perhaps hauling firewood. I have never owned a four wheeler before, so any insight would be most appreciated.

oscarmayer
03-29-2015, 10:35 PM
The utility ones are good and last. Big thing is the drive line in the clutch and cvt area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atc007
03-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Biggest place Polaris gets their bad name is, They have grease fittings. Which to me is awesome! However, MOST owners don't grease them. That looks like a very low hour piece,other than the seat. Get it, clean,lube and adjust the chains, grease every fitting,service her up. And I bet you will ave a VERY reliable great machine. Pay attention to the tranny and shifting on test drive. They do kind of clunk, but should be no grinding. Great machines with bad reps IMO.. Unfortunately,,I have been around FAR too many on their liquid 2 strokes,,but not this 425, I don't know anything about this engine, other than. Polaris builds a good one. Just like the rest, Keep a good air filter and clean oil in her,and she'll be happy. I assume it has their Stupid paper element for air? What all bikes are you trading?

tripledog
03-30-2015, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the advice, Bill. I am still unsure about trading for a 20 year old quad, but since I don't defecate money, it may be a good deal for me. I would be trading a 1981 Yamaha SR250T single cylinder street bike, and a 1978 Honda CM185 Twinstar twin cylinder street bike. I don't have a lot of money into the pair, but the SR250 has a clear title and tax form signed by the previous owner, runs great, will pass inspection with no problem, and I have a LOT of time invested in it. I am not so sure I like the combination chain final and prop shaft front drive on the quad, but I will have to check it out. The owner of the 425 said that he sometimes has a problem getting it to shift into reverse. This may be a simple linkage adjustment, or the precursor to more serious transmission issues. I know the quad is old tech, but my Farmall M turned 70 years old this year and it is still going strong. I guess I have a greater appreciation of antiques since I became one myself.

tripledog
03-30-2015, 08:02 PM
What is the possibility that this quad will fit on the back of an S10 pickup?

atc007
03-30-2015, 08:18 PM
It will fit in a S 10. May hump the wheel wells. But surely goes in. Just grease and oil everything and if the bearings are tight. You'll be g2g. And you are right,,reverse could be either... Most likely a simple adjustment.

tripledog
03-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks again, Bill. The deal is starting to sound a bit sketchy. The owner has a registration in the previous owner's name, and no bill of sale from the previous owner. If the seller can't provide a registration signed off by the previous owner as well as a NYS DMV form DTF 802 completed by the previous owner, this deal won't fly. The DMV offices in my area will no longer accept a hand written bill of sale.

atc007
03-30-2015, 08:45 PM
Hmmm,,,I think NYS is one of the toughest there is. PA is very easy,however I've been doing it a couple years. It will all work out the way it is meant to be ,always does :)

Scootertrash
03-31-2015, 09:35 AM
95 Magnum should be chain drive front and rear, with a middle chain to connect the two, unless when you say "prop shaft" you mean the front CV joints. Nothin' wrong with chain drive, I like them because they are far lighter than their shaft drive counter parts.I also like the low gear range on the older Polaris machines, nice for plowing/pulling/dragging sometimes. ;)

As far as the shifting thing goes, Polaris trannys are pretty simple gearboxes. If your idle is too high you can get grinding when you shift. Sometimes you may need to rock the machine to get it into gear (aligns the gears a little better), but my wife and I very rarely have a problem. Make sure the gearbox lube is up to the proper level too.

I just redid a tranny on an '01 Polaris Trailblazer for a guy. Someone had been trying to ram it into reverse and yanked on the shifter so hard it forced the snap ring that holds the reverse gear on the countershaft out of place, pushing the CS reverse gear past the output shaft reverse gear, never to but returned to it's proper position until someone opened it up. I put in 2 new snap rings, replaced the seals, put it back together, and added amzoil gearcase lube. I put about 15 miles on test driving and never had a problem with shifting :wondering Guess what? The first thing I did before I pulled the trans out was check the lube level.......... not even showing on the dipstick :rolleyes:

You sound like a guy that takes care of his stuff, I think that machine would serve your purposes well

Polaris parts are plentiful, and the machines are dependable no matter what the interwebz say. Like anything else, maintenance is the key and if you beat the crap out of something you break stuff. But then smart guys like us know that. ;)

tripledog
03-31-2015, 05:12 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys. After I mentioned the DTF-802 (tax form), the seller bailed. Oh well.

oscarmayer
03-31-2015, 06:51 PM
good thing for you. may have been stolen and he wanted to unload it. that probably dodged a bullet.

tripledog
03-31-2015, 08:27 PM
He has the registration, but without a DTF-802 completed by the previous owner, I couldn't register the quad in my name. No way would I swap a good running, low mileage, clear titled bike with a completed tax form (plus a bonus bike that would be suitable for a yard or pit bike) for a quad that I wouldn't be able to register, title, or otherwise prove that I own. Something better is likely to come along anyway... like something that includes the numbers two, five, and zero, the suffix SX or ES, and the brand name Honda contained within the vehicle's nomenclature.

oscarmayer
03-31-2015, 09:48 PM
LOL
ok cool. I learned a long time ago, if a deal is not easy to get to work, then it's not worth it. usually bad deals you have to work at and end up easting your time and m0oney for nothing. well at least that has been my experiences.