PDA

View Full Version : Texas, New Mexico.

DesertRider
03-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Anyone ride near El Paso Tx?

jb2wheels
03-30-2015, 10:54 PM
Not me but that's El Paso 1/2 way to Glamis from Austin area. You're so close it makes for a good for a long weekend trip. Go before it gets too hot...

DesertRider
04-09-2015, 12:29 AM
Heck yeah I would love to make a trip out there! What about Kermit and Monahans in Texas? I've never been but I hear its pretty good.

Onetrackmind
04-09-2015, 05:48 AM
I grew up out in west Texas but live around Dallas as an adult. We used to go out to the Monahans dunes all the time... Great place to ride.

jb2wheels
04-09-2015, 08:46 AM
I haven't been to Kermit in a couple of years but it's a good spot.
If I lived closer I'd be there more often. It's 400+ miles for me.

New owners have been spending time and $$ on the spot so it's getting some love again. I think there's a semi-organized ATV ride once a month.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/138921-Kermit-TX-SandHills-Sand-Dunes?highlight=kermit

I think they're more active on Facebook than the web pages - look up "Dunes at Kermit".

nachop
04-12-2015, 05:41 PM
I had gone to Kermit for the first time about 20 years ago and really liked it. I went for the second time this past summer, and it is now privately owned and you have to pay a fee to get in. I don't have any problem with paying any entrance fee, but it is NOTHING like I remembered. The owner looks like he is making some pretty good additions to the parking are, trees, canopies, a circle track, etc. I can't say I really cared for it this time. In fact, I was really disappointed. I recall a few dunes that were much larger, more bowls and it seemed a lot bigger. I know that erosion can have an effect, but it usually does not have such a dramatic effect on the size of a dune. And I know that 20 years is a hell of a long time ago, but I distinctly remember those of us that rode 2 strokes stopping every so often to check the amount of fuel in our tanks to make sure we would have enough to return to camp. Could it be that there is more than one riding spot in the Kermit area? It is about a 3.5 hour drive from where I live and I would definitely not make the trip again. I really hope that I am wrong and this is not the same Kermit that I remember.