PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor set up what are you running !

kasuki
03-31-2015, 06:00 PM
Got a nice 60 gallon stand up compressor . It's all hooked up now an I'm ready to run my lines. What are you guys doing for lines . I was thinking come of the tank with on/ off valve then run a air/ water seperator not sure if I should go 3/8 or 1/2 inch . Then run a jumper to my 50ft real what would u guys do for air/ water seperator ? Open to ideas thanks guys

jb2wheels
03-31-2015, 06:08 PM
I notice having the filter/separator right at the compressor is almost useless. Better to have it right at the end of the run - close to the paint gun, blast cabinet, or whatever. Water condenses out of the air as it cools in the lines.

That being said, I have a nearly 20 year old 30 Gal Craftsman direct drive compressor. I replaced all the regulator BS on the outlet with a 1/4 turn valve and a filter/separator setup right at the compressor. I use a 50' 3/8 rubber hose for everything. My blast cabinet has it's own filter/separator. When I paint, I use the disposable "tennis ball" type filter/separators at the gun inlet.

Not high tech by any means.

jeswinehart
03-31-2015, 07:21 PM
My big improvement for me was relocating my average run of the mill air compressor to my storage area (next to the garage wall but not in my garage space).
Saved valuable floor space and cut the compressor noise to about a eighth of what it was inside garage area.

jb2wheels
03-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Hey jeswinehart do you have it in a shed or just on a slab or what?

Curious because I want to upgrade but means reshuffling my floorspace. Looking at options for putting a vertical 50/60 gallon outside. Thanks!

jeswinehart
03-31-2015, 08:32 PM
JB, it is a enclosed non heated addition to our main garage. I laid patio blocks rather then a complete concrete floor pour. They was a buck apeice, we just hand laid on sand base.

YTZ drew
03-31-2015, 11:06 PM
I have an 80 gallon vertical with a 6hp 220v belt drive mounted on a wooden base. Its in my basement, and connects to my garage via 1/2" ID rubber hose to the ceiling of the basement, where 1/2" copper takes it the rest of the way to the garage. Almost zero noise in the garage, or in the first floor of my house above. The wooden base lets the compressor shake a little bit instead of rattling the floor, and the rubber hose de-couples the vibration from the floor joists. I run the a small water separator/filter in the garage, and it rarely ever seems to have any moisture in it. I think the key to the low moisture is temperature- both the basement and the garage are heated. The basement is usually about 60, and I keep the garage at 50 in the winter, outside temp in summer.

onformula1
04-01-2015, 07:03 PM
I use dual 5.5HP 25 gallon setups 3/8" real goodyear rubber hoses with qwik connects and filters i have three 50 foot sections so i can add on and reach the street if needed.

cobradude
04-02-2015, 09:28 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/02/1e4a4c37055578b96b1be76834dde641.jpg

Estimated 200 gallon tank. Running a single stage harbor freight pump with a 5hp tractor supply 220v motor. Built it out of a tank that was in the shop at a house my dad bought. Currently keep the pressure set at 100 psi, not sure what the tank can hold

YTZ drew
04-02-2015, 08:32 PM
not sure what the tank can hold

If you look carefully around the bottom of the tank, or in the back (they're never where you want them to be) there should be a metal tag welded to the tank stating its safe pressure level, and usually a date of manufacture as well.

coolpool
04-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Cobra, I hope you find your specification tag. Without knowing what that tank can take is dangerous. I know it sounds corny but I deal with pressure equipment as part of my job. Your PSV (Pressure Safety Valve) looks to be in good shape but I wonder what it's set at for pressure and what volume it can release. Hopefully it releases well below your tank rating and it must be able to release more volume than your compressor can put out to be effective.

I run a 60gallon stand up anchored to the floor in a heated shop. I ensured it was level with shims and put hockey pucks under each foot help with vibration. I go 3/4" stainless to the first isolation valve and union, then I neck it down to 1/2" copper throughout the shop. I put a U-bend as soon as the piping leaves the tank and installed a drain at the bottom. This gets rid of most of the moisture before it hits the auto-seperator and regulator. I also installed isolation valves at each take off and put a regulator at my bench to adjust pressure separately from the main system.

cobradude
04-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Never found a spec tag on it. The safety valve is a new one I put on myself, set for 105 psi. We did remotely pressure test the tank before the build up to 150 psi, I have the pressure cut off at 100. Been using it for 3 years now, can keep up with a DA sander pretty well

coolpool
04-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Never found a spec tag on it. The safety valve is a new one I put on myself, set for 105 psi. We did remotely pressure test the tank before the build up to 150 psi, I have the pressure cut off at 100. Been using it for 3 years now, can keep up with a DA sander pretty well

Sounds like you have your bases covered! Thumbs up!

shortline10
04-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Been using this set up for a while now . No spraying just impact tools and such .

kasuki
04-03-2015, 08:26 PM
getting some good ideas from you guys . Can't wait to get my tecate back together for this summer . It's going be nice to have my garage all set up to do some wrenching lol