PDA

View Full Version : Twisted frame

ddiggerr
04-03-2015, 07:49 PM
I am having an issue with this frame. I have had it in the shop where we heated up the frame and with the help of a 6' bar stuck in the steering tube, attempted to straighten it out. It appeared to be fairly straight while on the bench, however, after setting motor back in and leveling out the handle bars, this is what it looks like ....

Maybe I am pulling on the wrong part, however, there are signs of the front end being hit hard. The left side steering stop underneath front of steering tube is bent and the bar running in front of the motor, from top to bottom has been cracked in half and repaired by PO.

I am thinking I need to recut that smaller bar so I have a little play and then heat and bend again.

Open to suggestions..

roostin atc
04-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Simple fix is a new frame

ddiggerr
04-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Simple fix is a new frame

I do have another frame that is straight, however, it has a few cracks that need to be mended. Also not a perfect frame. Trying to keep this build on a budget.

coolpool
04-05-2015, 11:38 AM
This is the most integral part of the machine and will form the basis for the rest. This is not a part to save money on. Get that one you have welded/gusseted by someone who knows what there doing a start with a strong base. Good luck

ddiggerr
04-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Straightened the frame today. Had to cut the down tube, which resulted in the frame almost straightening itself once the tension was released. Then with the use of a little force and the use of the special frame bender (big hammer), it is as close to 90 as its going to get.

Time to weld the down tube together, add a gusset along its length for extra strength.