PDA

View Full Version : ATC200E Oil Flow

kckranz
04-04-2015, 09:50 AM
Hi there -

1983 ATC200E, locked up while riding. Able to push it back into the garage and begin investigating. Got the bike a few months ago and really have just been riding it in the last month. Replaced the oil when I got it - 4 cycle motorcycle oil - filled to halfway between H and L on the dipstick. Bike shifted hard, and slipped, too.

I was able to unfreeze the motor and pulled the side cover off. Sprayed fogging oil in both valve access ports, timing chain (from behind the rotor), and in the spark plug hole. Turns fine by hand and good compression.

I think I have a lubrication problem - I think the cylinder was "dry". I plan on flushing the motor with fresh oil and Seafom, drain and fill with oil. I did notice that the oil pump is turning.

Is there a way to determine if the oil pump is distributing oil as designed? I'm also wondering if the clutch issues could also be caused by poor oil flow. Anyway to blow the channels out with air?

Some trikes have a weep hole at the top of the head - remove a bolt while the bike is running and oil will spurt out. Does the 200E have this?

I replaced the oil seal behind the pull starter assembly a couple of weeks ago - the previous one had some shredding. Could some of the old oil seal have traveled and blocked lubrication flow?