PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased a 1985 tecate, in a box, need advice

dsprad26
04-05-2015, 12:09 AM
Made what I consider a good buy on an 85 Kawasaki tecate. It came with several boxes of both new and used parts. Bottom ends, cylinders carbs, you name it. All the new gaskets and seals, piston kit etc. Very labor intensive build, and I am up to the task, but my question is, is the bike worth it? I have always wanted one, and I am very familiar with the history of the beast but just not sure of the problems that may be lurking. Just don't want to get three quarters through the build just to discover the parts needed to finish it are impossible to find. I know the reward of throwing a leg over this thing will make most all of it worthwhile, but I don't exactly have an unlimited budget to go toward this thing. Was hoping maybe there are some tecate owners out there that could give me some advice. Thank you.

onformula1
04-05-2015, 12:50 AM
To start post some pics, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Then there will be a bunch of guys jumping in to help. You came to the correct place!

just ben
04-05-2015, 10:23 AM
everything is obtainable but can take some work to find. I just spent the last 3hrs cross referencing oem fasteners that are disc. from kawi but I was able to cross everything to active Honda #'s.

dsprad26
04-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Ok, trying to figure out how to upload pics, I will keep trying. It looks like I have most everything needed to put it together, so far the main things I am missing is the kickstarter and the gear shift. The bike itself looks pretty good, the front forks look perfect, no rust or scrapes, still has the original tires and wheels and brand new plastic, aftermarket. I have read quite a few threads on hear and definitely seems like it would be a popular bike to build. I raced three wheelers back in the 80s and have wanted a tecate ever since. It would kill me to have to sell this thing I'm just afraid of getting in over my head. I am a mechanic by trade, and have owned, and worked on atvs for over 30 years, but time is something I don't have a lot of. Hopefully the advice I can get here will inspire me to dive headfirst into this thing. Thank you for your help in advance.

dsprad26
04-05-2015, 02:03 PM
213747onfig]213747[/attach]

dsprad26
04-05-2015, 02:14 PM
And by the way, I bought this tecate, with its three huge boxes of parts, and a 85 200x all original runs and rides and in very good shape for 600. So I would say I did pretty good huh?213748

prometheus
04-05-2015, 03:44 PM
The 200X is worth that alone. Awesome find! I'm not a Tecate guy. More into Hondas. I know finding parts can a lengthy journey for any vintage bike but it makes it so much more worth it when your finally done and have tracked everything down. There is no feeling like the one of throwing your leg over and firing up that project you just finished. Trust me, stick with the build. You will regret it if you don't.

dsprad26
04-05-2015, 10:21 PM
Great advice, I think I've decided to put the engine together, all the new parts came with it for a complete top end overhaul, if I can get it to fire up and run decent, I will pull it back down and do the complete restoration. Just can't resist the urge to try, lol.

onformula1
04-05-2015, 10:35 PM
everything is obtainable but can take some work to find. I just spent the last 3hrs cross referencing oem fasteners that are disc. from kawi but I was able to cross everything to active Honda #'s.

Did you post this info?

Thanks

just ben
04-06-2015, 07:29 AM
It took 3 hrs to look it all up and would take just as long to type it all out. Just look at the Kawi parts fiche to get the fastener description enter that into Google followed by honda. 2wheelpros.com came up a lot while searching and seemed to be the cheapest. Example: "8x75 flange bolt honda" comes up 96300-0875-00 which is an active#

jb2wheels
04-06-2015, 08:12 AM
The hardest things I've had to find over the past few years/Tecates:
- CDI boxes
- Shifters
- Air filter cage, the metal part that goes in the airbox and holds the foam filter
- Light switches
- Forks with no rust on them
- Stock headlight & mounting bracket

If you have those (at least the ones you want to use) you're time and $$ ahead.

Go ahead and have jeswhinehart service your flywheel as preventative maintenance and get one of his intake manifolds if he has one available. He makes chain sliders, too. Great stuff.

nd4speed
04-06-2015, 10:13 AM
You can use other shifters to get by as the OEM get kinda expensive. Same with kick start levers, but others fit.
This parts interchange thread can help:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/94809-Kxt250-Tecate-3-What-Parts-Fit-Swap-Interchange

The parts for that 85 Tecate will be easier and cheaper to find than the later years.

Also for $600 one running riding trike and one basket case is a good deal. The plastics alone on the Tecate are worth stupid money.

ride red #1
04-30-2015, 08:25 PM
And by the way, I bought this tecate, with its three huge boxes of parts, and a 85 200x all original runs and rides and in very good shape for 600. So I would say I did pretty good huh?213748
Good score. Congratulations. I am also new to the site, lots of great members here that will help you out.