PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225dx Rear Suspension Upgrade

Pellethuntr
04-06-2015, 07:54 AM
I put some 25" tires on my 225dx, by doing so the tires are much closer to the plastics than the stock 22" tires that came with the bike. They are not so close that they rub while riding but they just don't look right. I would like to raise the back end up a few inches to give more clearance over the tires and over the ground.

In Derrick Adam's thread about his custom 225dx he says he put a YFZ450 shock in the rear but he did not go into any detail as to how he accomplished that. The stock rear shock is about 16.5" eye to eye and the YFZ450 shock is about 18.25" eye to eye so it looks like it would give me just enough lift to make it look decent without putting excessive stress on the universal joint. I sent a PM to Derrick but have not received a reply yet.

Has anyone else put a different rear shock on a 225dx? If so what shock and how did you go about doing it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ghostv2
04-06-2015, 08:45 AM
I've also been looking for more travel because I've been testing the limits of my bike and I need to stop breaking parts when jumping it lol.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/06/3ec2453ebbcfa132b19464a7c6ec5e2d.jpg

Pellethuntr
04-06-2015, 08:52 AM
I've also been looking for more travel because I've been testing the limits of my bike and I need to stop breaking parts when jumping it lol.

By the looks of that rim you haven't figured it out yet? :lol:

onformula1
04-06-2015, 09:00 AM
That's not a rim.

Ghostv2
04-06-2015, 09:05 AM
That from bottoming out and my u-joint and shaft hitting. I've sheared off battery boxes, dented my DG pipe, and the reason I pulled my rear end yesterday and found this was because I jumped a double and blew out the middle drive seals and was pumping out the transmission oil.

I've thought about doing the timberwolf swap and gaining the two or so inches and fitting in a new shock. Paired with the tri z front end swap should make it tolerable.

I wanna know what they used back in the day for races. I see tons of kits like the white bro's cams, carbs, etc but nothing in the suspension department. I wanna talk to an old yamaha racer.

Ghostv2
04-06-2015, 09:07 AM
https://vimeo.com/124203579

YamaBoss
04-06-2015, 09:21 AM
I'd be careful putting bigger tires on a 225. The pervious owner put them on mine and many things have had problems since. They put a hole in the rear fender, battery box got hit by a tire and was all bent up, clutch was absolutly shot, low power even with a new clutch, middle drive gear snapped, part of the shaft cracked in half too. Not worth it for a couple inches in ride height.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/133459-YTM-225-on-27s?highlight=225+tires

Check out that thread for more information about it.

As for the rear shock. You can read here some alternative options. Post number 9

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/169387-New-here-with-a-225-dx-project?highlight=225dx+shock+upgrade%2C

Ghostv2
04-06-2015, 09:50 AM
I'll have to look up the specs and see how much more travel each gives you. Any idea which is best?

Pellethuntr
04-06-2015, 05:22 PM
As for the rear shock. You can read here some alternative options. Post number 9

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/169387-New-here-with-a-225-dx-project?highlight=225dx+shock+upgrade%2C

Thanks for the link, looks like all of those shocks will in fact work but they are all the same length or shorter than what I already have.

onformula1
04-07-2015, 12:29 AM
That from bottoming out and my u-joint and shaft hitting. I've sheared off battery boxes, dented my DG pipe, and the reason I pulled my rear end yesterday and found this was because I jumped a double and blew out the middle drive seals and was pumping out the transmission oil.

I've thought about doing the timberwolf swap and gaining the two or so inches and fitting in a new shock. Paired with the tri z front end swap should make it tolerable.

I wanna know what they used back in the day for races. I see tons of kits like the white bro's cams, carbs, etc but nothing in the suspension department. I wanna talk to an old yamaha racer.

First, let me say I love the Yamaha 225DX its a great, fun reliable trike, but from what I saw they were not raced much.

My younger brother had one and we put a Terry Cable fork kit in the front forks + 1" of travel, stiffer fork springs and modded rear shock spring to be stiffer and some engine mods. He raced it a few times at some ADRA desert races but got smoked by 200x/350x's. (Not his fault)

I know they had a lot of engine parts available, but out in the west they were used for camping/hunting or were dune trikes for kids and women, in the dunes you needed more power, but back then you could get away the suspension.

super8
04-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Maybe a Warrior shock, i've thought about trying it. My buddy has a works rear shock i may be able to borrow long enought to try.