PDA

View Full Version : 200x build

chasemanmusic
04-08-2015, 05:15 PM
200x build Story and pics. Check out the pics and read story about the almost forgotten build below if you feel like it.

Background info:
As i mentioned in my introductory post, this x has been almost completely dismantled the last 12 years. Bought the trike in highschool with hopes of restoring it. I never even road it. Forgot how much i paid for it, i think it was cheap. The clutch was locked up and bottom end was full of shavings. It was beat. Unfortunately i dont have pics of it from when i bought it. But it was bad and the kid i bought it from was beating the hell out of it. Somehow driving it around without the clutch working. It was sad. Needed to be rescued.

Work done in highschool:
Bought a bottom end off ebay
had frame, 3+swinger, triples powder coated
replaced axle bearings, swingarm bearings and triple bearings
Bought rear shock off ebay, had it rebuild at local shop
Cleaned a bunch of hardware and other parts w wirebrush steelwool and can painted stuff
bought new 18" holeshots tires
Bought bunch of misc parts - twist throttle (stolen), forkboots (stolen), white plastic tank, decal stickers (idiot friend stuck them on the trike in random spots :mad:), new brake lines, and maybe some other stuff.

I also aquired a bunch of first gen 250r parts back in highschool that i've held onto all these years. It was a basket case which i was going to eventually build. Now im selling off the parts to partially finance the build.

5 years ago, got motivated and bought a box of random X parts and dude through in a rear set of second gen 250R plastic and seat in excellent condition. Also got that seat i posted in a different thread today. Never did anything to the trike though. It just moved from random storage areas throughout the years, then to my 1st apartments basement and finally to my house i bought a few years ago. Most parts hung out in a shed in my back yard and the partially assembled powdercoated frame/swinger and triple sat like a trophy in my garage on a bench.

About a month ago i decided it was time to finish the build. I needed a second trike so my wife and I can ride together and figured i should just finish what i started. BTW i have 2 other 185s'. 1 is my main ride and the other is loaned to a friend who has some money into it. Any way:

Parts i've gotten/work done in last month:
Rear Axle
rims, hubs and 20" holeshot tires off a 400ex (sold the original 18" holeshots i bought to finance this buy)
afermarket carb
new rear sprocket - found a new looking front sprocket 14T. Rear is stock 40T, is that gear ratio too low?
new chain
new cam chain
bought used jug (old one bored too many times), head off 200s (old head was pretty bad according to machine shop), used cam in nice shape, new wiseco 10.25:1 piston kit
Had new used head rebuilt, jug bored to spec w my piston kit at local machine shop
oil seal for head
Traded the 250r fenders i had straight up for a really nice set of 200x maiers
used wiring harness
carb to airbox boot
front caliper from cr85
rear master cylinder from cr85 - found a thread that said this should bolt up
New front master cylinder/lever assembly
cleaned up and painted a bunch of hardware/random parts low gloss black
and theres probably more im forgetting.

So finally on monday i was able to get it rolling. Was super happy to see it on wheels again. Now im slowly assembling the frame w accessories and finding that im missing tons of little hardware pieces that im sick of being nickled and dimed on on ebay. And im onto the motor. I've never cracked open the bottom end, so im taking it to a local snowmobile shop to split it, check bearings and use his parts cleaner to remove any foreign matter that may have accumulated in there over the years. From there ill build the top end and replace all gaskets/seals.

TL;DR
bought a trike a 12 years ago with restoration intentions. Havent touched it since 2004 other than moving. Restarted the build in March of this year.

Any who, here are the pics. Wish i had more of my parts and stuff that has taken over the garage lol.

Any comments or tips on moving forward are welcome. Would love some feedback. Thanks!

Berger83
05-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Always nice to see someone bring a really beat trike back up to snuff. Any more updates?