PDA

View Full Version : Inland Lobster Anyone????

Jmoozy27
04-10-2015, 11:16 PM

If any of you guys get a chance to try crawfish, don't pass, they are awesome!!! Any of y'all (that aren't from Louisiana or Texas) ever have any?

86T3
04-10-2015, 11:46 PM
My neighbors netted a bunch out of their pond 3 or 4 years ago and invited us over. They were awesome. We just dropped them into a boiling pot of water or beer individually and ate them for hours. 10x s better 5han shrimp imo. Maybe there should be a crawfish boil at trikefest...

ironchop
04-11-2015, 10:04 PM
We eat mudbugs up here.

My buddy brings us cases of them from La when he runs a route there and back.

Jmoozy27
04-12-2015, 09:52 PM
When I finally make it to trikefest I will definitely bring my pot, burner, and a few hundred pounds. May is prime season.

The Goat
04-13-2015, 12:48 PM
I've competed a time or two, and I usually do quite well.

I use more garlic onion and celery in my boil than most, and it makes for some damned tasty crawfish.

Almost time to boil, they are finally under 100$ a sack.

Jmoozy27
04-17-2015, 07:47 PM
I've competed a time or two, and I usually do quite well.

I use more garlic onion and celery in my boil than most, and it makes for some damned tasty crawfish.

Almost time to boil, they are finally under 100$ a sack.

I usually go pretty basic on boil. Regular zattarains, or Louisiana, powder with a splash of the liquid boil. I have an old beer keg that I boil in with a custom basket. 5-8 minutes boiling with a 20-30 minute soak.

BOB MARLIN
04-23-2015, 02:56 PM
I'm way out here in So. Cal.- I really like em. I have 2 traps that I set and let soak overnight. When I go to pick them up in the morning people look at me like I'm nuts !. Nobody out here wants anything to do with them. But then again people here won't eat
catfish either.

Ryanq55
04-23-2015, 05:30 PM
I'm way out here in So. Cal.- I really like em. I have 2 traps that I set and let soak overnight. When I go to pick them up in the morning people look at me like I'm nuts !. Nobody out here wants anything to do with them. But then again people here won't eat
catfish either.

That's funny! When I was younger my family would go camping up in Big Sur and we'd catch them with little pieces of bacon or cheese on a string...and from what I remember my mom would just boil them and serve the tails to us with butter like little lobster.

After working with a couple guys who debated on how to prepare/cook the "perfect" catfish, and listening to them stress on soaking the meat in buttermilk to get all the "muck" out....YUCK! No Thank You!!! I'd never tried it before that and don't think I ever will after that! LoL

Jmoozy27
04-25-2015, 01:54 PM
That's funny! When I was younger my family would go camping up in Big Sur and we'd catch them with little pieces of bacon or cheese on a string...and from what I remember my mom would just boil them and serve the tails to us with butter like little lobster.

After working with a couple guys who debated on how to prepare/cook the "perfect" catfish, and listening to them stress on soaking the meat in buttermilk to get all the "muck" out....YUCK! No Thank You!!! I'd never tried it before that and don't think I ever will after that! LoL

What??? We eat everything down here. I like catfish, but it's definitely not my first pick. I'd rather some fried bull bream, or sacalait' (pronounced 'sock o lay') or white perch for the rest of the country.

tri again
04-25-2015, 02:29 PM
I thought I was seeing things crossing the creek.
Looked like a tree branch that I didn't want to flip into my trike tire.
It was a crayfish? EASILY 10 inches long.
I'd heard stories but thought they were urban legends the local tell the
new folks here in Oregon.
So I called fish and game and they said they are non native, but very good eating.
Never did get the real name of that big species but will revisit that thought.

I thought it might be some sort of breeding stock because we do have tons of the little ones.
Little ones are ez to snag by floating downstream with a mask and snorkel.
Also remember floating down the big sur river on a boogie board for just that reason too.

Never thought of using a trap.
May set one today.
Thanks for the reminder.

yamaha225dr
04-25-2015, 07:20 PM
I grew up in Louisiana and dearly miss the food. No other part of the country can cook like folks in the South. Crawfish is one of my favorite things to eat.

Jmoozy27
05-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Decided to suck up this wonderful weather and grabbed 50lbs of the best Da Boot's got to offer.
215605 215606 215607

So to my internet brethren... Enjoy!!!

83ATC185
05-04-2015, 09:07 AM
We too had a boil this weekend, cooked up 36 lbs and had the whole family together. Good enough time we decided to make it an annual event! :beer: