PDA

View Full Version : So I just bought an '86 250SX... for $500.

guthardwaldrid
04-13-2015, 10:42 AM
...and it runs GREAT!

The fender has a few cracks but other than that, I have ZERO complaints about the trike. I don't have very well knowledge regarding what I should do to try and attempt to maintain it properly so what should I do?

I changed the oil, replaced the filter, and cleaned the air filter. What else should I do here? I would really like to take care of this and get it trail ready very soon. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks all!

Samjp22
04-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Check brakes, bearings and seals

UI Vandal
04-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Get a repair manual for the next level stuff: valve checks, fork rebuild, etc. Otherwise go ride!

guthardwaldrid
04-13-2015, 01:38 PM
It seems to run just perfect and I can't find any problems with the brakes. I'm just checking in to see if I forgot about anythibg.

wonderboy
04-13-2015, 01:59 PM
The SX machines need some special rear axle care. They are known for letting water into the rear axle. The 85 was more prone than the later years, which used a better sealing design. Regardless of year, an annual axle lube change is a really good idea. It doesn't take a large volume of oil, and is very accessible, so it is easy to do. Also, there is Honda service bulletin that describes a procedure to seal up the swing-arm boot.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/164618-Honda-Service-Bulletins-Through-January-1987/page2
Post #25

Make sure to oil the air filter too. You mentioned cleaning it, but oiling it is necessary for it to function properly. Put the air filter in a large Ziploc bag and dump in some Gear oil or 10W40 and thoroughly saturate the filter. Then squeeze out the excess. I like to hang them by the flange over a drip pan for a night to let the excess drip off. The oil is mandatory in order for the filter to grab onto the dust.

The SX is an awesome all around machine. Good power, nice ride, electric start, and reverse. You will love it.

UPNATM
04-13-2015, 10:05 PM
Let's see her! Post up some pics!:D

guthardwaldrid
04-13-2015, 10:39 PM

Here is a pic I took the day I bought it. Since then, I've swapped out the headlight cover with one that doesn't have broken plastics and blown a tire... It's a real fun trike!!

Recon
04-13-2015, 11:56 PM

Here is a pic I took the day I bought it. Since then, I've swapped out the headlight cover with one that doesn't have broken plastics and blown a tire... It's a real fun trike!!

Good looking trike.

alt
12-20-2015, 11:21 PM
Thumbs up.nice looking