PDA

View Full Version : 76 atc 90 tranny problems

jasonb100272
04-13-2015, 03:28 PM
my issue is at first had just hi and all gears ( of course this is before I new about hi/low owned about 3 weeks starts runs fine ) so I didn't check when I bought it $ 270.00 . so found out I had no low in a matter of 10 minn of riding lost everything . dose not make any nose far as the transmission no grinding sounding or rambling just engine that's fine. any idea where to start? is this a very tech issue I am diy but I know my limitations . I have a another tranny to see what I am up against and have a manual but it is a clymers ? any help . thanks jason

ps2fixer
04-13-2015, 07:12 PM
There are free downloads for honda service manuals, might be a better reference.

I'm not sure about the 90cc model, but the 125m has an external section of the engine where the hi/low selector is, the gears that control that are under the cover and I think it is semi common for the casing to break or the gears to loose teeth. I'd have if the parts interchange, but I have a spare set of gears from a 125m and I think it was a 110.

Best to find the issue before buying parts of course. Maybe someone with a little more experience with the 90s.

muthey
04-19-2015, 11:17 AM
the sub tranny on the 90's is in the same place as a 110 and 125, first check the selector and see if it slipped out of selection, very common, then if you still have issues pull the cover on the sub tranny and see if the gearing is damaged. If all the gears are fine, you're looking at the centrifugal clutch next, and then finally the transmission. My bet is your sub tranny wasn't fully engaged in hi and it popped into dead mans land of in between.

tri again
04-24-2015, 03:47 PM
x2 with muthey.
I've had a few hi/lo selectors that were very stuck. and bent shifters.
They should click from hi to low with light finger pressure...
while rocking the machine back and forth.

Pretty doubtful that it would stop working all of a sudden as long as the main shifter is acting normally.

Jack in VB
05-13-2015, 11:45 PM
x3. Had this happen on mine when I was younger.