PDA

View Full Version : Pit Bulls Suck!

Caminofeld
04-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Haha, for me it's just the opposite. I love their physical ability, protective yet playful nature, and their high energy level. My last pitty, Alice, was killed last year in that crazy accident I was in and I'm now in the process of adopting 2 more.

I'm not posting this for validation on my views, just felt like venting a bit due to recent events.

The other day my fiancee and I were walking Franny, our 2 year old rescue, on the hike/bike trail by my house. When I first got her a month or two ago, I found that she didn't like bicycles...then came to realize that they actually excite her. This isn't a good thing, because I ride and I'm sure the kids will too when they get a little older. What I have been doing is trying to train her out of this behavior. I started by riding my bike around the back yard to see if she would actually try to attack me...and big surprise, she did not. She just chased me around and barked a lot with her tail wagging. She did try to jump up a few times, but once I realized that she wasn't trying to kill whoever happened to be nearby on a bike I believed it safe to start desensitizing her...aka getting her around more bikes, making her sit/stay/not bark, and rewarding the good behavior with a treat and accolades. When a biker approaches on the trail I make her sit on the shoulder, straddle her, hold her by the collar, and speak to her calmly as the bike passes. I also speak to the approaching biker to let them know that she gets excited and barks at bikes. This has worked great and she barely even barks anymore. My prediction is that in a few more months she won't even give them a second look. I try to be a good ambassador for the breed, and have been really pleased by the way people have responded to seeing us in training. It's usually a brief exchange of friendly comments and a "have a nice day", or something similar. Some even give me compliments on my responsibility and tell me how pretty she is. This brings me back to my story...

So we're walking and a biker approaches. I do my typical training routine with her off to the side of the trail. I let him know at a distance (and in my typical friendly way) that we are in training and she "gets excited" around bikes. So this A-hole stops his bike right next to us and says in a provoking tone "Well maybe I'm scared of him". Then he stands there for a few seconds while Fran remains quiet but alert and looks to me for a cue. My visibly pregnant fiancee then nicely asks him to keep it moving and he puts his finger up and "shushes" her. Now I'm getting pissed. I now firmly tell the guy to move along and he just stands there...then steps closer to us and puts his arm up as if to say "What are you gonna do if I don't". Now I raise my voice and shout "Keep it moving". Fran now barks and he scampers on his bike and takes off. I've had plenty of experiences like this before from ignorant people, but only only one other time have I had someone stand there and deliberately try to provoke my dog (and the other time was with a lady probably in her 70's with 2 little barking dogs wearing sweaters...I chalked that one up to senility:)) Anyways, I don't let too much bother me these days so after some brief bitching between Krystle and I we left it at that. So we're on our way back and a couple with a Jack Russell approaches us on foot. After a brief introduction the woman chose to walk back into town with us, citing a sore knee. Along the way she told me that she didn't trust pits, but admitted to never actually meeting one in person. We were happy to talk to her about this and let her know our views, which are basically that there are good dogs and bad dogs as well as good owners and bad ones...It's all about knowing the breed and providing them with what they need (with Pits they need love, attention, supervision, discipline, temperament testing/training, socialization, and a healthy outlet for all that crazy energy. Pit owners need to also be alert to signs which could indicate a potential problem in the future and take measures to correct/prevent this...which includes euthanasia if necessary). Anyways, towards the end of our walk (and after happily answering questions/addressing her concerns) she tells us her real reason for talking to us; which is that she is in charge of a local biking group who was having a meeting in town and that some rider (we all know who) came in and warned them all of a "vicious pit bull on the trail trying to attack bikers. Presumably he told this to everyone he passed, and still we were pleasantly greeted for our entire walk. I feel really good about changing someone's opinion of the breed and would even say that we made a new friend.

Overall the experience had a good outcome. Then today I'm talking to a coworker who tells me the workplace gossip yesterday was about how irresponsible we are for not getting rid of our dogs since my toddler lives here and we are expecting a baby. :mad:

Anyways, I guess you can't fix ignorant, but I pride myself on being a GREAT Dad and was really insulted that my parenting was put into question. Believe me, I watch my dogs closer than most...and if they ever showed any concerning signs they would be dealt with accordingly...and God forbid, if they ever turned and attacked I would be right there and am confident I could quickly remove and kill them on the spot. That being said, none of my dogs have EVER given me any cause for concern and I'm going to continue to enjoy all of life's blessings...including my 2 wonderful pits...

Thanks for reading, I feel better now.

jb2wheels
04-14-2015, 03:10 PM
In my experience, the biggest problem with dogs of all breeds is the owners.

And you can't legally fix bad owners.

You exercised great control with the idiot on the bike. I'd likely ask my wife to restrain the dog while I "desensitized" the biker for threatening my pregnant wife.

manbearpig
04-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Personally, i like pit bulls.

That being said, there are some bad ones out there, despite the lengths that their owners may go to. My dogs have met many pits and ive only had one incident. But moreover, ive had more incidents with Chihuahuas than pits.

Pit bulls were bred for fighting. this is undenyable. Those aggressive fighting traits can be bred out of animals through generations of SELECTIVE BREEDING. Unfortunately for pit bulls most are bred in low income areas by accident and/or for profit. There is no selective breeding done in these situations. Each dog is sold for the max amount of $$ to unsuspecting owners. Once the dog starts exhibiting aggressive traits theyre taken to the shelter, abandoned, or worse. when they get too old to sell as puppies theyre given away, abandoned, or worse. this is mostly unfortunate for the animals as the number of put bulls put to sleep every day far out numbers the amount of pit bull attacks on humans per day. Selective breeding is what keeps the aggressive traits from perpetuating and it keeps dogs with these traits out of the hands of unassuming, well intentioned, yet inexperienced dog adopters. you clearly know what youre doing and have a dog that gets excited, not aggressive. you and that dog are a good combination. Thank you for being a responsible pet owner.

If the guy stopped on the trail, he's impeding your forward progress. just keep a firm grip on the dogs collar and carry on YOUR own way. if that means you have to walk towards the sissy on the bike, then so be it. you're just trying to get past him and get on with your day

Racer-X
04-14-2015, 07:28 PM
People watch the news thinking its an unbiased story and is fact and forget who owns the stations and what their political agenda is. If your German Shepard rips my arm off you'll never hear about It. If a pitbull nips my pant leg then its a "mauling" . Remember these are the same stations that say global warming is real, Obama wasn't born in Kenya as Barry santos and is a full blown Muslim , sandy hook wasn't fake, vaccinations don't kill anybody, Hillary Clinton didn't know about Benghazi ,911 wasn't an inside job, Obama care is free and you can keep your doctor if you want, blatant lie after lie after lie. If you want real news you need alternative news that isn't corporate owned. Anyways I'm rambling. Pitbulls are hands down the most intelligent, faithful, and beautiful dogs you can have. As for the sissy on the bike don't worry about him. "Vengeance is mine" said The Lord. He'll get what he deserves in the end. I commend you for showing such restraint and swallowing your pride and not beating that guy to a pulp for acting like that in front of your pregnant wife. Way to be a real man. I hope I can show the same restraint next time some A hole tries to test me.

Caminofeld
04-14-2015, 11:09 PM

Vicious killers indeed... Luke and Fran pulling an evening security detail on my 3 wheeler trails...and Broseph thinking he's going outside...

badandy
04-27-2015, 12:38 AM
This post got my attention quick... Shitty Title!

I'm a long time owner of many "pits" to include show champions as well as classified rescues... I'll never own anything else, although I have met a couple of breeds that have some very cool qualities. Personally, I wouldn't have thought fast enough, how to deal with the dick on the bike... and the situation would have passed as yours did. Additionally I wouldn't react to his spreading BS either, I find it fortunate that you had a nice visit with the older lady and her two rats... hopefully that will squash it. I hope it all fades away and you can enjoy your new friend...

Unfortunately... the pit bull stigma will require your ultimate discretion, and even when ignorance rules... you'll always have to be the bigger man, and walk away... I guess that is what "sucks", it's being a responsible pit bull owner....

Here's a shot of my "killer, Gus" as you can see... he really hates those rotten Jack Russel's! Ha!