PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Honda ATC 200e Engine Problems

jhusk33
04-14-2015, 09:27 PM
I was given a nice looking 3 wheeler from a friend in exchange for labor. It has been sitting in a barn for about 15 years but still in great condition!! After replacing a few missing parts (gas tank, carb) I got it up and running.... however it is not a pretty sight. I have been troubleshooting from the Honda manual but with no luck. The engine is running rich and starts to bog down and cut out past 1/4 throttle. I have done several WOT''s and the spark plug (new) has been black and oily every time with and without the air filter. I have swapped a couple carburetors to try to fix the problem yet to no avail. I have exchanged main jets from 100 to 95 (stock) to 87.5 to 85 to 80 and it is rich every single time. I decided then it could be electrical. I then replaced the ignition coil (after finding a faulty secondary coil) in attempt to fix the problem but got nothing. I have tested other electrical components and they tested out fine. I have confirmed the timing is correct and the valve lash correct as well. I am out of ideas as far as problems go... maybe valve seal? compression? any help would be much appreciated!!!

jhusk33
04-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Well I didn't get a compression test yet however I had a friend look at it and told me that the black on the spark plug was actually the burning of oil... I guess I'm going to have to dig a little deeper into this engine than I thought... Anyways I also noticed the advance on the pulse rotor doesn't return well. I may have to look into replacing that

jhusk33
04-16-2015, 09:28 AM
I actually got it running well without testing compression. I also figured out that it was running very lean but because of burned oil I thought it was rich.Yes it burns a little oil but I got the main jet dialed in and runs pretty well. Im not really looking for high performance or anything because its going to be used as a farmhand so it doesn't have to be perfect.