PDA

View Full Version : Internet service provider

Bren_downe
04-15-2015, 12:50 AM
Living in the middle of the woods is awesome but it comes with it's downfalls.

Satellite Tv and internet are my only options… I think. Right now I have Dish network and Hughes Net. TV sucks and the internet coverage is terrible. I'd love to ditch the TV and get some decent high speed internet, use netflix, and maybe save some coin in the process.

I've looked into cable, our driveway is so long the cable company wouldn't tell us how much it would cost to run service out here.
Were too far from the DSL providers or modems or however that works.
I guess I'm left with satellite.
Anybody in a secluded area have any ideas? I'm all ears fellas…
Thanks in advance.

Brendan

atc007
04-15-2015, 07:55 AM
I am in a worse boat yet, trust me :).. No cable anywhere. Hell,I'd hand dig the trench and leave my equipment sit!! Seriously,I would! So yes, we also have Dish and Hughesnet. Guess what. Hughesnets biggest,best package. SUCKS> $153 a month with taxes :) :) :) . I strongly suggest not even trying them. My "local" phone companies internet is slower yet,but far less money. Yet,, 600% More than most city dwellars pay for a complete high speed bundle. It truly is simply one of the costs of living off the grid,and it stinks lol. But SO worth it overall. LMK if you find some miracle solution! I've looked into Cell phone services also. Nothing worth even trying.

JayBone
04-15-2015, 10:33 AM
I have Directv, no internet. I am hoping to move and buy a big piece of land. You just enlightened me to another small issue to ponder. Thank you

Most likely i will just get a better cell phone and use that for service on my laptop.

ironchop
04-15-2015, 11:18 AM
I live in the "sticks" too. No cable out here and satellite dish is troublesome on it`s best days so we shut it off.

Oddly, I get ONE BAR of cell service in my living room though there is a tower in the middle of a hayfield down the road 100yds.

However when I use my Tmobile cell at home as a mobile hotspot and tether my laptop, I get four bars suddenly and great speed....makes no sense but then again, what part of a cellphone does? Like when you have no bars and your phone says "emergency calls only"....really? I can`t call the pizza place`s biz phone because I have no bars but I CAN CALL the police station next door to the pizza place because their phone number only has three digits? Same phone, same phone lines, same system but somehow it doesn`t work unless I`m in network or getting robbed at gunpoint....smells fishy to me.

we tried hughes net years ago and it sucked here too.

tri again
04-16-2015, 03:52 PM
we have an odd feature too.
I can type my last 4 phone digits on a text msg and it always goes through.
even to or from a phone with NO minutes left on it.
This works when voice and full texts do not.

Kinda cool. It tells whomever that I'm home and available.
Maybe I should come up with 3 or 4 digit codes to pass messages.

I see lots of ads for 'new' internet services but know nothing about them.
Probably more like small companies using existing satellites, like the old
'long distance phone service battles' of yesteryear.