PDA

View Full Version : Need info!!

tkaustin09
04-16-2015, 08:47 AM
I have an 85 Yamaha 225dx right now it has a big fat front tire I want to change it to a skinnier one. whats the benefits of the wider tire vs a skinny one?

SSLS1
04-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Welcome to the board. It's just my opinion but the wider tires are best for soft areas where you need the most flotation like riding on sand or snow. They are however often heaver, can be harder to turn in slow speed corners and your steering may not feel as responsive than say with a narrower tire at higher speeds.

A narrower tire (especially when used with a narrower wheel) will often be lighter and feel more responsive when steering. But weight also depends on the type of tread each tire has and number of plys. The narrower tire may follow ruts more steering eratically where a wider tire may float over the ruts with less steering corrections required. But a lot of that depends on how many psi of air pressure is run in each tire or how pliable the carcass is (number of plys and tread design). Typically a narrower tire will dig (knife into) and not float on soft sand or snow as well as a wider tire does.

Hope that helps some....... Just curious what part of MI you are from?