PDA

View Full Version : Honda Big Red Clutches

kckranz
04-17-2015, 05:49 AM
Both my Honda Big Reds ('83 200E and '84 200ES) have a two clutch system. It appears there is a clutch pack and a centrifugal clutch. Can someone explain why there are two clutches, what each one does, how they work in tandem.

I've got clutch issues in my 200E. When I shift the bike jerks into gear, but then when I give it gas the clutch lets out slowly, then it lunges when it finally releases (is this what it means by the clutch slipping?). I went through the clutch adjustment exercise as described in the shop manual, but it does not help. Not sure which clutch to replace or both (hence the original question).

K

Flyingw
04-17-2015, 06:33 AM
The centrifugal clutch disengages the crank from the transmission at low RPMs (idle). The manual clutch unloads the transmission from the crank when shifting gears. Based on your description, you need to replace both and be done with it for a while. The centrifugal shoes wear much better than the tranny clutch plates do but they do wear. Might as well do both.

wonderboy
04-17-2015, 10:41 AM
As stated, the centrifugal clutch lets you come to a stop with the motor running and the trans in gear. Without it, you would stall the motor when you came to a stop. It can be hard to diagnose slipping problems between the two. The best way is disassembly and measurement of the shoes and comparing it to the manual. However, I observed a problem on my centrifugal clutch that may be part of your problem too. Put the machine in gear and let it sit and idle. Does the machine want to creep forward? Do you have to hold the brakes to keep it back? In my case, there is a link (just like a chain master link) that the centrifugal clutch shoes pivot on. The hole in the clutch shoes was severely egged out. This let the pivot point of the shoes engaged the hub and grab. If you have this symptom, you'll need to replace your centrifugal clutch shoes.

Other problems that you can identify based on a teardown are:
1. Warped steels in the shifting clutch. Warped steels won't let the clutch disengage properly when shifting
2. Cooked or worn out fibers on the shifting clutch. Will cause slipping when trying to accelerate
3. Cooked or worn out centrifugal shoes. Will also cause slipping when accelerating.
4. Siezed one-way bearing - when you shut down the motor, if this bearing is seized, you'll hear a spinning, whirring noise after the engine is stopped.

Given your symptoms, I'd start with the centrifugal clutch. Sounds worn to me.

YamaBoss
04-17-2015, 02:48 PM
I think that sounds like a centrifugal clutch problem. But as long as your replacing one you could replace both. Good luck.