PDA

View Full Version : To split or not to split

chasemanmusic
04-17-2015, 02:35 PM
Guys,

I've had a 85 200x bottom end sitting in storage for several years and im finally ready to use it. I dont think there's any oil in it. The top end was not intact during this time, however i did have the rod and cam chain opening stuffed with rags to avoid foreign matter from getting in there. I've never seen this motor run either. The top end ill be installing is freshly bored jug, rebuilt head, new cam chain and new piston kit.

My question is, would you split the case and inspect/clean everything? Or just flush it out with oil and build it? Or are there some tests i can perform without splitting the case to assure nothing bad will happen when i start this thing.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

ironchop
04-17-2015, 03:04 PM
I would split it specifically to check the kickstart ratchet gears and spring. Most common problem with the 200X and you can avoid it before you get it all together only to try and kick a motor that won`t engage the ratchet gears....even ignoring the common kickstart issue, it would just suck to throw a brand new topend on a motor you have to pull apart to replace a crank seal or a crank bearing...or any number of things. If I`m not sure the motor I`m rebuilding the topend on had a good lower, I just tear down the whole thing and go through it

make sure to clean out the oil pump rotor body too.

yaegerb
04-17-2015, 03:29 PM
split it, inspect 2nd, 3rd gear and shift forks for excessive wear. Clean the oil rotor and scour the internet for a new Kicker ratchet spring and gear.

chasemanmusic
04-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Ok will do. Thanks again. Ill order the kicker ratchet spring and gear now and probably start tearing it down this weekend. WIll be taking pics and documenting the process. I have a clymer manual that is very detailed. Also a friend of mine offered that i could use his parts washer to clean the bottom end. Should i take him up on that?

chasemanmusic
04-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Found this on ebay. It's used, but looks to be in good shape. Or do you suggest i find something new?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-HONDA-ATC200X-ATC-200-X-KICK-KICKER-GEAR-SHAFT-/151644023873?hash=item234eb02c41&vxp=mtr

yaegerb
04-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Found this on ebay. It's used, but looks to be in good shape. Or do you suggest i find something new?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-HONDA-ATC200X-ATC-200-X-KICK-KICKER-GEAR-SHAFT-/151644023873?hash=item234eb02c41&vxp=mtr

That's used, I mean new as in NOS. They don't make these parts anymore so when I say "scour" I mean it. If you look at that picture what you need is the gear and the ratchet that you see meshed together and that tiny spring at the very bottom. That tiny spring is the Achilles heal of the first gen 200x.

chasemanmusic
04-19-2015, 02:08 PM
Ok I see exactly what u are talking about. I was able to find the ratchet and gear but can't find the spring anywhere. I found in this thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/57972-What-makes-200x-kick-starters-slip-Several-soloutions-inside!/page2 that guys were talking about using an xr spring. Or just stretching it out more.
Also in that thread guys where moding the ratchet and gear by grinding the teeth to make them fit better. Worth a try before springing for the new parts?

yaegerb
04-19-2015, 02:48 PM
Back cutting the teeth is hit or miss. I have tried it and it didn't work on mine, but I am running high compression. It may work on a standard compression setup. I then opted for an NOS setup and that is still holding up. I would contact shortline10 and see if he has any kits left. No idea if the XR spring works or not.