PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying Motor Mount Bolts 1985 ATC 250R

ICS Vortex
04-19-2015, 11:05 AM
Hi all, I recently aquired a 1985 ATC 250R.
I'm having to basically build the whole thing myself.
I purchased some motor mounts and hardware a while back, and I need some help identifying which bolts go with which mounts.

Here's some pictures of the motor mounts and hardware that I received.
http://i.imgur.com/eCT950M.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/McwaCUp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/us8dIyq.jpg

Any help to identify which bolts go to which mount and where, would surely be appreciated!

PS. I already have the bottom mount installed that goes with the swingarm.

Red Rider
04-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Ok, in the top pic, counting from L to R for bolts & mounts:

Bolt #1 goes through the big hole of mount #1, the cylinder head stay, and then mount #2.
Bolts #6-9 attach mounts #1 & 2 to the backbone of the frame.
Bolts #2 & 3 attach mount #3 to the front L side of frame.
Bolts #4 & 5 attach mount #4 to the front R side of frame.

As for bolts #10 & 11, that looks like bonus hardware to me. Bolt #12 is non OEM.

ICS Vortex
04-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Ok, in the top pic, counting from L to R for bolts & mounts:

Bolt #1 goes through the big hole of mount #1, the cylinder head stay, and then mount #2.
Bolts #6-9 attach mounts #1 & 2 to the backbone of the frame.
Bolts #2 & 3 attach mount #3 to the front L side of frame.
Bolts #4 & 5 attach mount #4 to the front R side of frame.

As for bolts #10 & 11, that looks like bonus hardware to me. Bolt #12 is non OEM.

Thank you so much!
I managed to get the head mounts and the front right mount installed, but I had difficulty with the front left one.
The front right mount had the nuts welded on and I didn't have a problem installing it.
The front left mount doesn't have any nuts welded onto it. It doesn't seem like it has ever had anything welded onto it other than the wiring clamp (that is broke off). Am I missing something on how to mount it? I also tried to install just the bolts into the frame where the mount goes, but they were EXTREMELY hard to screw in...I actually overtorqued one of them trying to get it to bolt in and it broke!

Flyingw
04-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Here a bolt list that may help you out in the future.

Red Rider
04-20-2015, 11:03 PM
The front right mount had the nuts welded on and I didn't have a problem installing it.
The front left mount doesn't have any nuts welded onto it. It doesn't seem like it has ever had anything welded onto it other than the wiring clamp (that is broke off). Am I missing something on how to mount it? I also tried to install just the bolts into the frame where the mount goes, but they were EXTREMELY hard to screw in...I actually overtorqued one of them trying to get it to bolt in and it broke!On the left mount, it should thread into the frame, like you already tried. I don't think there was ever a wiring clamp attached to that mount in '85. It sounds like you need to chase those threads in the frame with the appropriate tap size to clean them up. My apologies, I told you the wrong bolts for attaching the front left mount to the frame. It is not the long bolts #2 & 3, but rather a pair of short bolts #5 & 6.

ICS Vortex
04-20-2015, 11:30 PM
On the left mount, it should thread into the frame, like you already tried. I don't think there was ever a wiring clamp attached to that mount in '85. It sounds like you need to chase those threads in the frame with the appropriate tap size to clean them up. My apologies, I told you the wrong bolts for attaching the front left mount to the frame. It is not the long bolts #2 & 3, but rather a pair of short bolts #5 & 6.

Ah alright, that makes more sense!
I could get the bolts to go in barely, but not very far in.
This happened when I tried it with the long bolts like #2-3.
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t34.0-12/11117459_955512477821754_1015821605_n.jpg?oh=8f8f0 934b9923c110d673c369aa0f0c2&oe=5537D02C
I'll try it tomorrow with the shorter bolts and see if it works out any better!

PS. I'm obviously missing a bolt or two that actually connects the front mount to the engine right?
PPS. Oops, that wiring clamp I was referring to is on the head to frame mount.

Red Rider
04-21-2015, 04:00 AM
I'll try it tomorrow with the shorter bolts and see if it works out any better! I'm obviously missing a bolt or two that actually connects the front mount to the engine right?Yes, the long bolt that goes through the front mounts & the engine is not in any of your pics, so I assume you are missing it.

Oops, that wiring clamp I was referring to is on the head to frame mount.On the '86, the L headstay mount has a wire/cable guide that attaches via the front headstay-to-frame bolt. I guess it was tack welded on the '85?

With that much bolt sticking out, it should be pretty easy to remove the broken bolt.

ICS Vortex
04-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Yes, the long bolt that goes through the front mounts & the engine is not in any of your pics, so I assume you are missing it.

On the '86, the L headstay mount has a wire/cable guide that attaches via the front headstay-to-frame bolt. I guess it was tack welded on the '85?

With that much bolt sticking out, it should be pretty easy to remove the broken bolt.

I attempted to use the smaller bolts that I had and the head broke off of the bolt again, this time I can't get it out without an easy out.
I'll probably end up drilling it out and tapping it with a bigger size bolt.