PDA

View Full Version : End of the 200x dashes....:-(

Flossyb20
04-21-2015, 08:59 PM
Sadly, after 3 years, my 87 200x dash mold suffered catastrophic failure today...luckily I was able to get the part pulled for the last buyer before it happened. That being said, I used a borrowed dash for the mold, so I don't have another part to make the new mold from. If anyone has one they'd be willing to sell me, I believe most of the community (including myself) would be appreciative. I prefer to buy one, and I'm aware of the cost, given that it would need to be pretty nice, if not nos, to make a good part. I've thoroughly enjoyed making these, and would really like to continue to do so. Thanks in advance - PM me if you'd like to make a deal. - James

Flossyb20
04-22-2015, 10:01 PM
crickets...hmmm

jeswinehart
04-22-2015, 10:13 PM
I have had very good success with making new proto type pattern prices from reproduction parts. Lots of wet sanding sometimes, depending on what condition the original was in.

Flossyb20
04-23-2015, 09:27 PM
Yeah John, the original wasn't as nice as I really wanted it to be...I would have liked to sand that one down first as well. With as expensive as the mold is, I would really like to have a nice oem part to start with, even if I have to do a little work to it. I'll keep looking though...I know some guys out there have one or two stashed away...hopefully I can get one.

wonderboy
04-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Can you make a relatively quick mold using a previously reproduced part, and then cast a piece from this first mold that you can then rework and modify to make it perfect? This would give you a "master" dash piece to use for any future molds. Maybe use a different material to make your master so that you can easily rework it to make it perfect. Just curious...

jeswinehart
04-24-2015, 03:32 PM
There is no quick way to do a quick type of mold, one that would be worth a hoot.
The time it takes to just clay up a part to make a mold is intense and lengthy.
I have 25 man hours into a re pop part mold I just finished making. Was 20 plus hours but decided to redo some of it. Then I had a "blow out" and pissed 200 dollars worth of mold silicone out :(
But yes a master can be made. That is exactly what I done with first and second generation Tecate intake boots so I would never need to borrow hard to find new ones to use as pattern pieces.

Xander
05-30-2015, 07:53 PM
I sent you a pm, perhaps you didn't get it. I have an extra dash laying around, it isn't the nicest, but is solid and original. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll send some pics.