PDA

View Full Version : 1985 honda 250 sx

ugethergoinyet
04-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Hey guys. Just got my $250 1985 honda 250sx last weekend.. seat and front mudflap were n.f.g. replaced mudflap and having the seat uphostered.. put a new plug in and kicked it and she fired! Went for a rip. She smokes. But runs good.. did a little clean up and painted some rust... put a battery from my yamaha in it and got no life no lights or anything...if i jump the solenoid it starts... does that mean my solenoid is bad or my switch on the handlebars?? Gonna dig into it more when i have more time.. ive got the manual and the wiring diagram.. any advice is appreciated!!!!!..trikes gonna be a sweet rider... tail light is there and put a new bulb in it... might keep it.. might go l.e.d.... shes got some bad cracks in the front tire its gonna need replacing. Recomendations???...

Troyg25
04-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Nice. Lets see some pics of this machine.

Troyg25
04-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Posting pics for member.

21501121501221501321501421501521501621501721501821 5019215020

UPNATM
04-23-2015, 07:20 PM
put a battery from my yamaha in it and got no life no lights or anything...if i jump the solenoid it starts... does that mean my solenoid is bad or my switch on the handlebars??

Try taking the switch apart and cleaning the contacts. When I first tried to get my sx project running, I had no juice. Once I cleaned the switch real good I instantly had fire.

shes got some bad cracks in the front tire its gonna need replacing. Recomendations???...

There a ton of threads on here pertaining to front tire replacement options. If I get a sec, ill dig up a thread, but in the mean time try using the search tab up top. :D

ugethergoinyet
04-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Thanks for posting my pics troyg25.. that switch a pain in the ass to put back together?? Thinkin about painting that tank white n slapping some 86 decals or custom 250sx decals on it.... came with a cobra exhaust with weak walls n small hole in it.. tried to patch.. made it ugly..still leaks! Lol

Chopsaw
04-23-2015, 10:05 PM
Nice start to a resto . Keep us posted .

Chop

ugethergoinyet
04-24-2015, 12:07 AM
pic 9 is straight out of storage just paid for it...Pic 1 and 2 show the condition of the tank... considering $140 red plastic one off ebay. pic 8 shows cobra exhaust pre attempt at patch and pre paint..pic 10 shows repair job on fender bracket... ive removed the front rack as u can see.. might paint it and reinstall if need be.. oh and pic 2 u can see the melted mud flap, since replaced and painted exhaust

Troyg25
04-24-2015, 12:29 AM
Good start. Change all oils maybe twice and filter. Who knows how long it's been sitting. Rear diff get a lot of crap in them as well. Check the rubber boot out (cracks).

tri again
04-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Good start. Change all oils maybe twice and filter. Who knows how long it's been sitting. Rear diff get a lot of crap in them as well. Check the rubber boot out (cracks).

2x on oil changes and fresh gas. May stop smoking.
Rear axle only holds 3.3 oz of hypoid gear oil and might look like chocolate milk.

jb2wheels
04-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Looks like a great start! Hard to pass up at that price.

Kismet
04-24-2015, 09:42 PM
Congratulations. Take your time and don't make any drastic decisions about changes immediately. Work on function first, then mull it over and give serious thought to change and investment.

They're not making them any more, I hear.

:)

Nice purchase. Well done.

TrickShot
04-24-2015, 09:56 PM
That's quite the custom front rack on it in the one pic.

ugethergoinyet
04-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks! Just got word my sealed fuse holders are in. modernising the fuses on both my trikes. 250sx has an old glass 15amp Im saying bye bye to. And my brand new seat should be done for monday..... and i went And picked.up the stock air filter box

Atcrumm
04-28-2015, 08:15 PM
Your going to love that sx very good trike enjoy

350for350
04-29-2015, 10:28 PM
Atcrumm is right. After about 15 years of waiting, I finally got one. For $250 too! Mine's in about the same shape although it doesn't smoke. I had to send my carb to Flyingw for a rebuild. WELL worth the price. Since I'm now in the middle of moving, I've only ridden it a couple of times but I love it. I think it was worth the wait.

ugethergoinyet
05-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Thats awesome! I might look into the flyingw just to make it mint. Got my seat re-done and my rear fender on. Got the air box on after i re-shaped it a bit. It was a little melty haha .went for a good rip and ive almost burned all the old gas out of it. Pics soon. Might get around to painting the tank soon too

fullchoke
05-03-2015, 01:37 AM
I got my 1st barn find. I answered an ad for chainsaws and asked if he had any motorcycles, he said no but I got this....he showed me a 1985 250sx. It really was in a barn and pigeons had been doing a job on it since 1998. I should have taken a before picture, but it still looks dirty even after alot of cleaning. Got it for $100. Owner said it had carb problems when parked in 1998. I bought it because it turned over good. It has been a few months under a tarp in my back yard while I find a little time here and there to work on it. The float valve in the carb was corroded solid and when I got it out it wasn't all there. The air cleaner was rotted mush. The rear diff oil looked like rustoleum rusty metal primer. Cleaned the tank, changed the oil and she started on the 3rd kick. I figured out that it has to be in neutral and the electric start works too. The tires look good, but no front brake. I haven't ever rode a 3 wheeler, but we are going to the oregon dunes (spinreel) andI haven't been there before either. I need to check the valves before we go as it makes a lot of top end noise ...especially when cold.

We now have 3, 3 wheelers. I bought a 200 honda for the engine(pull start) years ago. A 1982 250r, because a 3 wheeler might be fun with some suspension which the 200 does not have and now this 250sx. Since the first 2 are still together all three are going to the dunes to have some fun. My 2 sons are used to motorcycles and are reluctant to ride a trike. Everyone else in our group will have 4 wheelers. I think we will have more fun.

Chuckyducky555
04-25-2017, 11:58 PM
Turn key and engine on, put a voltmeter across the solenoid, you should have about 12 volts. If you have nothing or less, the solenoid is probably good. trace the wires back checking fuses etc; problem is before the solenoid.