PDA

View Full Version : Deer versus 3 wheeler

awesomedad
04-23-2015, 02:38 PM
After almost 40 years of 3 wheelin ( started with a tri-sport), I finally hit a deer. Everything is fixed cept the fender. My question is what do you think of plastic welders for a good fix? Awesomedad, new to the forum.

86125m
04-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Depends on the model. If you can buy a new fenders I would go ahead and do that because most front fender do not cost all that much 50 60 buck usually. If you cannot get a front fender plastic welding seems to hold up if it is done correctly. I however do not know how to do it correctly.

NeverLift
04-23-2015, 03:47 PM
I have plastic welded many fenders and it holds up great. The filler neck broke completely off of my atc70(pitbike tank) and i plastic welded back on doesn't leak a drop. I've never had a weld break yet. I use a hot air welder.

awesomedad
04-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys. I thought bout replacing the fender at first, but I have 11 other trykes that have cracks in variuos places and cost wise, the welder seems like a a better choice. I"ve welded just about everything else in my life including under water, so I'll give it a try. If it works, I might try it on my head! LOL!

sledcrazyinCT
04-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Welcome to 3WW

I need to get a plastic welder myself.

BigHarp99
04-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Thats awsome, I didn't even know they existed.

Chopsaw
04-23-2015, 10:00 PM
After almost 40 years of 3 wheelin , I finally hit a deer. .

Was that on your bucket list ? Was that something you were trying to do ?

Welcome .

tri again
04-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Welcome to 3ww.
There are a few of us Oregon trikers around.
Deer in headlight?
How fast were you going?
Is it in the freezer?
Lots of warning in the news about lyme ticks.
Might wanna check your pockets.

I've got quite a few Honda 3 wheelers if you need parts.

awesomedad
04-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I usually ride at Shotgun creek. It was early morning and I guess the buck wasn't ready to bed down yet. He was in my headlight, my forks, my fender, and in my face. Was coming around a sharp turn and the deer came out from behind a fir tree. Doin 30 to 35 mph i think. It was a nice 4 point. after a few minutes I was able to move around so I approached the buck and we sat and stared at each other. After a few more minutes my son came around the corner and the buck got up and left without saying a word. Checked myself(that doesn't sound right) and rode a little longer then went home and checked clothes for ticks again.

jesseatcman
04-24-2015, 06:19 PM
Hitting a deer is on my bucket list... lol

coolpool
04-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Glad you made out OK and it sounds like bambi did too. I bet being able to plastic weld would be a niche market anywhere someone sets up if you wanted the machine to pay for itself. Just think of all the cracked plastics that are out there. A cost effective fix would sell I suspect.

Mattdragontamer and samjp22 were witness to a very large doe that sprang up from a ditch in tall grass when I was riding the shoulder full bore on a 110. Luckily she went opposite to where I was or I would've been forced to ghost ride the machine into her side; or eat hairy venison.

tri again
04-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Not to make fun but reminds me of Ron Whites comments about his brother in law
hunting with a 3,000 ft per second, 270 with this n' that and he hit one with a van with the lights flashing
and the horn blowin'.

Glad yer ok. Lots of deer accidents around here.

tri again
04-25-2015, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I usually ride at Shotgun creek. It was early morning and I guess the buck wasn't ready to bed down yet. He was in my headlight, my forks, my fender, and in my face. Was coming around a sharp turn and the deer came out from behind a fir tree. Doin 30 to 35 mph i think. It was a nice 4 point. after a few minutes I was able to move around so I approached the buck and we sat and stared at each other. After a few more minutes my son came around the corner and the buck got up and left without saying a word. Checked myself(that doesn't sound right) and rode a little longer then went home and checked clothes for ticks again.

Never been to s.g. creek. Always seems to be high fire danger or closed.
Hey, yer welcome to camp here for country fair weekend for free, as are all trikers.

Bullpin
05-02-2015, 01:06 AM
Does anyone have a link to these plastic welders? Didnt know something like this existed

NeverLift
05-02-2015, 01:49 AM
I don't remember the brand i have but it's very nice much better than the ones i see on ebay. Its a plastic welder and soldering iron it one machine. I purchased it from amazon. I will be back to my shop Wednesday and will get you the info.

NeverLift
05-02-2015, 01:56 AM
OK I found it on eBay. Search Kendal hot air 825d++ I have the $79 one and it works great. They have cheaper ones without the soldering iron also but it is the nicest scolding iron I've used.