PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new 1985 honda big red 3 wheeler 250 basic questions!

Krys6
04-26-2015, 04:30 PM
Just got my first 1985 honda big red 250 3 wheeler. The person that sold it to me told me to use the premium gas? I have read ppl saying to mix in oil with the gas? Can someone explain or tell me what you use on your 3 wheeler? Oil in gas? Yes or no? Also give me the difirential and motor oil you use and oil filter? Anything else I should do before riding? Spark plugs thanks in advance

yaegerb
04-26-2015, 04:46 PM
its a four stroke. Use regular unleaded fuel. The only engines that use an oil and gas mixture are two stroke. Use a motor oil that is safe for wet clutches. Honda is a good brand and I am pretty sure 10w-40 is the weight you want to use. I am sure someone else will chime in about the correct oil filter and spark plug for this unit.

Krys6
04-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Another thing the battery is not connected so I'm temporarily using a kick start sometimes it starts right up other times I have to kick 20 times then it starts. Or use choke spray what could cause this?

BigHarp99
04-26-2015, 07:47 PM
Is it being deprived of gasoline?

d.walker43
04-26-2015, 11:16 PM
For basic stuff like what your asking, I would suggest to get an owners manual and shop manual on your phone or computer. oscarmeyer.com is a good one, there's a link to it somewhere on this site.

With the gas, just use normal unleaded gas, it's a 4 stroke so no need to mix in oil. For the oil, I personally use 10W-30, since it's the most common and readily available, but I think Honda recommends 10W-40. Doesn't really matter as long as your close. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tri again
04-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Just got my first 1985 honda big red 250 3 wheeler. The person that sold it to me told me to use the premium gas? I have read ppl saying to mix in oil with the gas? Can someone explain or tell me what you use on your 3 wheeler? Oil in gas? Yes or no? Also give me the difirential and motor oil you use and oil filter? Anything else I should do before riding? Spark plugs thanks in advance

Many of us like alcohol free gas, maybe some marvels mystery oil or stabilizer if they sit very long.
Keep the tank FULL to avoid condensation.
Rear axle is 3 point 3 oz of hypoid gear oil, .
Hard start?
There was a cold start recall on the keihin qa01 carbs but flyingw knows how to drill
out the cold start jets.
I have one that strats great all summer but as soon as it gets cold,
it is a real pain.
Hairdryer to the carb, heat up an extra spark plug?
start fluid makes me nervous.
That one actually got a neutral safety switch bypass so we can roll start it...but it will start in gear
so not recommended.

Most just need a good cleaning and be happy it's not an sx for carb r&r.