PDA

View Full Version : Whew! Paint discussions a plenty!

ALT500R
04-28-2015, 01:58 AM
As I had mentioned before, I am in the process of redoing a roached 85 R. I figured that using the "search" function would serve me well for finding a little info about paint codes for the red pieces. I definitely found a few of those. Read so many my head hurt. My question was of a consensus of you folks that have restored a ride or two; do you prefer powdering your pieces? Or do you prefer the factory method of paint? Have you had decent luck with painted parts finish staying fairly durable? I am leaning towards paint myself, but I thought I would see what some of the top dogs around here use. Thanks!

jb2wheels
04-28-2015, 01:19 PM
I like paint but it's because I'm cheap.

I like to paint my frames and such with real 2 part paint from a gun. For any color other than black, I use an epoxy primer with a single stage poly top coat.
For black, I use an black epoxy primer from SPI. It's super tough and has a nice gloss. Perfect for frames and such.
If I have a batch of paint or primer mixed up in the gun, I paint everything I can. I hate cleaning the gun.

For most little parts, I'll just rattle can. I really like Duplicolor engine enamel. It's tough and dries fast and seems to hold up to chemicals OK. Not as good as "real paint" but OK. Gotta be careful of brake fluid and gas.

I'm not set up to powder coat anything - I just don't have the room in my garage. The only powder coating I've had done is a 350X frame and a few other small bits for the trike. It was $200...

ALT500R
04-30-2015, 02:08 AM
Good deal- My roommates family owns a body shop so I was thinking enlisting the help from there would be a more cost efficient route. Appreciate the input.