PDA

View Full Version : Split starter pulley

awesomedad
04-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Hey guys, I just bought a lot of atc 185s engines and parts and one of the starter pulleys has a split between the dog ears. Has anyone seen this before? I know i haven't.

Howdy
04-28-2015, 07:12 PM
Very common issue. I have 30+ of these at the shop with cracks ( still thinking of a fix ).
Howdy

awesomedad
04-28-2015, 09:06 PM
Thanks Howdy. Guess I better pay more attention. Think I'll squeeze it together, drill a hole and weld it. Then dremel it back to a good finish. Or?

Howdy
04-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Thanks Howdy. Guess I better pay more attention. Think I'll squeeze it together, drill a hole and weld it. Then dremel it back to a good finish. Or?

You can try that, but I don't hold much hope. You can buy an aftermarket starter pulley and just replace it. The bad news is they aren't too cheap.
Howdy

awesomedad
04-29-2015, 12:22 PM
You are right about the prices, WOW! I machined a hole in the center of the crack and a half moon at each end of the crack and welded it. Then I put it on my Rockwell tester and it seemed to hold. 40 minutes shop time,guess we'll see. Pretty amazing what you can do when you're bored. awesomedad

oscarmayer
04-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Nice job on the fix.
Let us know how it holds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesomedad
05-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Well, so far so good. Rode for about 7 hours today no starter problems. Still looks good. Ride for about 4 or 5 tomorrow then I'll tear it apart and and see if the 3 wheeler god still smiles on me. Awesomedad

awesomedad
05-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Well, it held up to a good weekend of child like, immature and abusive riding. And a slight disagreement with a culvert. I still think it's more fun to break them then it is to fix em. Awesomedad