PDA

View Full Version : 1980 atc 110 issue

efatka
04-29-2015, 09:20 AM
So I've got one wheeler almost together. If I hold the plug against the motor I've got spark, but if I hold it a little ways off then I don't have spark. The other odd thing is that with the plug against the block I don't see any spark at the points but with the plug off the block or in the hole I see spark at the points. I've been told that it's a bad ground between the motor and frame, I've also been told it's normal. Not really sure what to do cause I can't get the motor to fire on spray. Does anyone have thoughts on what to check or what to do? Thanks for your time and advice!

bigfish
05-04-2015, 11:00 PM
I have the same problem with my 1983 atc 110 that i'am rebuilding I have good spark when the spark plug is touching the frame but when I put it back in the hole and try to start it it will not start even if I spray starting fluid threw the carb I cant figure it out but one difference is mine is a cdi ignition

bigfish
05-04-2015, 11:05 PM
and I know I have good spark because it shocked the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of me

tri again
05-07-2015, 02:15 AM
and I know I have good spark because it shocked the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of me

Did you mention intermittent spark?
10 second free fix?
Unscrew the spark plug cap off the plug wire and nip off the last tiny bit of the coil wire so the spark plug cap has fresh copper to bite into.
I've seen it make all the difference.

tri again
05-09-2015, 01:55 PM
some sparkplugs will fire without compression.
aka grounded against the head but will NOT fire in the engine.
is it an ngk plug?

efatka
05-11-2015, 01:52 PM
I tried cutting.The end off the wire and re seating the plug boot. Yes it is an nkg plug. I've tried two different coils, but they were both used. I also got a good shock at least once grabbing the plug when I shouldn't have.