PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak from Pull Rope Cover

kckranz
05-01-2015, 06:51 PM
1983 and 1984 ATC200

Both trikes have oil leaking from the bottom of the pull rope assembly / cover. I have already replaced the large o-ring in there and the small one, too. Double checked they are installed correctly.

I guess I need to get the gasket for the cover itself. However, if I gasket the cover with the o-rings leaking, won't I just accumulate oil inside that cover? Would I need to drain it periodically? Or would the oil flow back into wherever it came from?? :confused:

big specht
05-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Sounds like the crank seal is bad behind the flywheel

Big G
05-04-2015, 03:02 PM
Sounds like the crank seal is bad behind the flywheel

That's exactly what the problem is. I've had to replace this seal on 2 of my trikes already. No leak in pull start cover after that :)

coolpool
05-08-2015, 10:00 AM
1983 and 1984 ATC200

Both trikes have oil leaking from the bottom of the pull rope assembly / cover. I have already replaced the large o-ring in there and the small one, too. Double checked they are installed correctly.

I guess I need to get the gasket for the cover itself. However, if I gasket the cover with the o-rings leaking, won't I just accumulate oil inside that cover? Would I need to drain it periodically? Or would the oil flow back into wherever it came from?? :confused:

X3 on the seal. The gasket itself doesn't do much except for dust control. Theres a small weep hole at the bottom which is where your oil is coming from and is there to drain water from your pull start assembly.

kckranz
07-17-2015, 06:58 PM
The crank seal that you refer to, do you have a part number for it, a link to a diagram that includes it, or the technical name for it? I cannot find it in the shop manual or in any parts diagram online. Is it a true oil seal or an o-ring? I take it that the flywheel needs to be removed if you say the seal is behind it.