PDA

View Full Version : New member, first three wheeler

cheap4tw
05-03-2015, 01:28 AM
Hello,

I put a deposit down on a Honda Big Red 250ES that's about 4hrs away from me and am picking it up on May 9th. This is my first three wheeler since I was a kid, my dad had a Yamaha I got to play with a bit).

Anyways I purchased a home in an area where off road vehicles can be used on the street from May 1st-Dec 1st. I am going to be plating and insuring my Big Red (confirmed insurance already and the bike comes with ownership).

Now onto the help/advice, any tips for a new rider? I am going to be hitting the trails with some buddies who have quads eventually but want to learn the bike a bit first.

Next, any tips on how to add turn signals, a brake light, and an aftermarket speedo? I can't swing the cost of Hondaline parts right now.

Racer-X
05-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Where do you live that you can ride on the road? I obviously didn't get that memo or I wouldn't still be living in Pittsburgh. Ha ha. I had a 2 stroke dirt bike that had a street legal kit with the speedo, turn signals, horn, plate mount with lights and everything you need by a company called Baja designs. You could also check eBay and get low power led lights so your existing stator can put out enough power to run other things that it wasn't powering before. At least your bike already has a battery and an electrical system. I had a kick start dirt bike and it didn't even have a headlight or anything to start with so fabricating the air box to hold my battery was the only issue I ran into while making it street legal.

cheap4tw
05-04-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm in Ontario Canada. Just bought a house in a small town in Muskoka that is very ATV/off road friendly. I am also about 5 minutes away from a ton of trails so that was appealing as well =)

Thanks for the tip about Baja Designs, I'll check them out.

tri again
05-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Seems like it would be good to be legal during the snow season?
ummm, dot tires. Most say not for hiway use.
With a solid rear axle, pavement could chew them up.

There are quite a few folks that have made them street legal.
Maybe try the search key?

We can ride when the snow covers the roads but only during the worst storms
and only low speed roads.
Technically illegal but cops don't care and like seeing off road warriors running around
with radios and chainsaws and winches.

cheap4tw
05-10-2015, 08:56 AM
Well I picked her up yesterday. Was a 8hr drive round trip but worth it to me as it's been very hard to find a Big Red 250ES with the ownership.

She needs the front and rear brakes fixed, a front left brake lever, the exhaust needs to be mounted (was included), as was a winch.

Here's a pic before I unloaded:

Any tips on riding a three wheeler? Once I get the brakes working I need to get some practice in.

brianb83
05-11-2015, 01:25 AM
Wow, that is nice! Congrats :)

duckguy
05-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Seat cover and go ride!

cheap4tw
05-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Seat cover should be here this week, I ordered it last week =)

Also it needs front and rear brakes which I am going to mess with on Thursday to see what's actually wrong.

I washed her today so I could see things more easily when I start tearing into her on Thursday.

cheap4tw
05-20-2015, 10:16 PM
Well over the past two days I've collected the following parts:

-Front hub with brake assembly and drum

-Front brake pads (new)

-Front axle shaft

-Rear brake assembly with drum

-Rear brake pads (new)

-Handle bars (OEM)

-Front brake cable (new)

-Rear brake cables - hand and foot (new)

-Choke cable (new)

-Throttle cable (new)

-Reverse cable (new)

-All the reflectors

-Front wheel bearings

-Rear wheel bearings

-Differential bearings

-Swing arm bearings

-Spark plug

-Oil filter

-Air filter

-Brush guard / nerf bar (the full skid plate version)

-Front fork boots in red

-Seat cover

I have this weekend off and am going to get some work done =)

knappyfeet
05-20-2015, 10:32 PM
Awsome. I'm going to pick up a Big Red one day but until then........I'm living my Big Red thru you. Keep posting the pics

cheap4tw
05-24-2015, 10:27 PM
Well I got a bit done this weekend, still have tomorrow off and will be working some more.

Anyways so far I've pulled off the front feel, removed the hub, changed the front brake shoes, changed the front wheel bearings, reinstalled the axle. I've also removed the front forks and replaced the fork boots.

Tomorrow I'm going to get the forks reinstalled, reinstall the front wheel, install a new front brake cable and see if the front brakes work.

Then the rear begins!

cheap4tw
05-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Anyone know of any tricks of getting the front forks back into the upper forks? I spent about an hour fighting with them today, I can get them seated all the way except for about an inch.

I cleaned up the fork tubes after I gave up tonight and will grease the hell out of things when I try again on Thursday.

dave ytz250s
05-25-2015, 09:00 PM
Did you tighten the front axle before installing the forks?
I would slide the forks in the tripples before installing the wheel, but you could wiggle them in with the axle loose.

Edit: I got confused, I just reread your posts, seems your wheel is off, so yes clean and lube and check triples alignement, good luck!

cheap4tw
05-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Well I got the front forks fluid changed, fork boots on, forks back in. I got the front wheel and axle back in and front brake works. I also got the new (to me) OEM handlebars I bought installed. I thought they would fix the upper holder cover (plastic thing with reverse/neutral lights) from hitting the gas tank when at full turn (left and right) but it still does. Any ideas? Is there an adjustment I am missing or is this normal for Big Reds?

LilRed
05-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Right on, that exciting. I thought driving 1.5 hours was far. I rationalized it by figuring even if the ATC wasn't nice at least I got to hit the Bass Pro Shops down there.

Nice looking Red, I like those. Congrats.

Scott

barnett468
05-30-2015, 10:33 PM
I also got the new OEM handlebars I bought installed. I thought they would fix the upper holder cover (plastic thing with reverse/neutral lights) from hitting the gas tank when at full turn (left and right) but it still does. Any ideas? Is there an adjustment I am missing or is this normal for Big Reds?

do you have all the correct parts shown in the picture in this link?

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-atc250es-big-red-1985_model18563/partslist/F__0300.html#results

cheap4tw
06-03-2015, 09:34 PM
I have everything in the picture. I am going to remount the bars on the weekend and see if I screwed something up somewhere.

Unfortunarely I have the front end back apart as I didn't notice the last owner sheared off the bolt that attaches the front brake cable to the front fork. I've drilled it out (not pretty but functional) and will be adding a nut and bolt to hold everything firm.

Also need to drill out one of the studs on the other fork that holds that axle holder in place and replace it as its snapped off. Figure if the front ends apart again, get everything done rather then rushing it.

I'll post another update as I make progress.

cheap4tw
06-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Well I took the day off work today because my stomach was acting up (on going medical problem). Anyways in between washroom breaks I got the stud drilled out and a replacement put in. Should have the front end back together early on the weekend and start tearing into the rear brakes.

This became way more of a project then I thought it would but I am enjoying it when I'm not tearing my hair out.

RJpaw
08-07-2015, 12:11 AM
There seems to be many more people that are wise about the mechanics than I. Last week I picked up a Big Red 250es in great condition because I loved these machines growing up and, well, gotta gear up for the upcoming hunting season. The only issues with my Big Red are what I think to be minor.
- the brakes do not work
- electric start does not work

I feel like some of you machine savvy folks could help me on what parts I need to order so I don't order unessassary things and well, to learn a few things from yall.

With the brakes, I tried to tighten the screws attached to the end of the cables leading to the rear and did not see any results. I assume I have to take of the rear wheel and open the drum to see if the shoes are bad? Is there anything I should be looking for or does and don'ts when doing this? Seeing how I've never ventured into mechanics really I don't want to mess things up more than fix them. I'm a pretty capable guy and will be thorough as long as I know how to properly troubleshoot.

With the electric start, I charged the battery today and when I hit the start switch, I hear a clicking noise... Studied the wiring diagram for a bit and then had to go take my wife to dinner. This seems like a minor issue that I am missing, but something isn't right and I can't figure it out.

Other than that, the thing starts up with one kick and idles like a new machine. Any light to shed on these would be greatly appreciated. I am eager to learn!