PDA

View Full Version : 200m engine/electronics

wagx2
05-03-2015, 08:12 PM
had my engine running, and it just stopped, I get power at the coil and it pulses, but will not spark, everything checks out with meter and factory specs. and as for cdi, bought one of the ebay ones but still no spark, had a thought, if something had happened to the rectifier, would it kill spark as in, does the stator/alternator, work with the exciter coil? or is the exciter coil work separately by itself? just wondering since I've tried every thing else, new cdi pulse trigger coil, plugs.... and just had thought about rectifier? but I did by the ebay replacement stuff the trigger probably not right one, cause the plate it is on roughly 1/8'' bigger than original, and would not fit in to the counter sunk lip it rides in, and the ohms for it was 39-40, and specs should be 20-30 so I'm thinking they sent wrong one, or its just a crap copy that not copied right :D

wonderboy
05-03-2015, 09:52 PM
The regulator/rectifier is not in the loop at all for your ignition. This diagram is for 84, but 85 looks the same just with a little different coil wiring.

Do you have the service manual?
http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php?dir=ATC200M%2F&download=200M+Owners+Manual.pdf

It will give you some of the resistance measurements to verify your coil is good.

Make sure the coil that feeds power to the CDI is good. This is the black wire with a red stripe. It's only job is power to the CDI (sepparate from the pulser generator coil which fires the CDI). Should be 100 to 400 ohms resistance between the wire and ground:

wagx2
05-03-2015, 10:32 PM
hey frank I have/did ohm out all the ignition parts by the manual except cdi tried ohm it out but don't have special meter it recommends, and all check out. I did put it together with odd and end parts such as 125 cdi, rectifier 5 pin, and coil from dirt bike can't remember the model, but when all was in it ran fine, tuned carb checked timing and cranked several times, then one time running it it just quit, and I haven't had any luck since. did take a 12 volt test light and touch to exciter wire while turning engine over it lit up nice bright, then touched to pulse trigger it lit and pulsed as if it was working, and then touched it to either side of coil connectors and it lit, pulsed but wasn't so bright as it was on exciter wire, but know spark, just was wondering about rectifier/stator if they had anything in common with each other, and even ran jumper wire to the plug while out of the machine directly off the ground post on battery. wondering if its a poor grounding issue or something else. got to be simple just overlooking it, even though components still checked out I did start buying new components. it is a 200m and I questioned the 125 cdi but it worked and what I had at the time, and new cdi I got was Chinese copy from ebay but just not sure, if it even works, I skeptical about buying used Honda cdi they sell on ebay cause never know if someone is pawning off one that's bad. I also had a question I posted on different thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/173420-200m-Transplant?p=1366565#post1366565 which is about the same drawing you have above in that drawing it has six lines coming out of the cdi if I'm looking at it right, and the plug I have only has 5 wires, and manual labels 5 pins on cdi, top middle pin not used, so why would that drawing, have 6 lines going to cdi?? wondering if that's my problem or grounding issues. if it is to be 6 pin plug to cdi I can change that out. but will need a diagram of what pin goes to what.. very lost and running out of what it could be.

wonderboy
05-04-2015, 08:04 AM
With regard to 5 or 6 wires: That diagram is from the manual, but it isn't the literal wiring diagram. The difference is probably the pulse generator. It only really needs one line to the CDI, with the other end being grounded. Both lines don't have to go to the CDI. I don't have access to the full service manual for the 200M at work right now, but if you can check in the service manual, look at the full schematic near the back of the book. It will probably confirm that your wiring is fine with the 5 circuits to the CDI.

If you only have 5 wires, I think this is ok.

So back to your problem: This will sound stupid, but can you try a brand new plug? Also, is your spark plug boot the type that screws onto the end of the coil wire? If so, unscrew the plug boot, trim a little of the wire, and screw the cap back on.

Also, I don't think it is necessarily your issue, but locate the green wiring ground eyelet and make sure that it has a clean solid connection to the frame. It wouldn't hurt to pull it off, clean the frame and eyelet, and put it back together.

What year is yours?

wagx2
05-04-2015, 09:28 PM

frank,
think the engine is 85, the serial numbers are missing, like last 2-3 digits, on 1st and second row, looks like chain had rubbed it unless it was hot when I bought it? but matches prefix's listed on the forum in the identification link, not really 3 wheeler anymore, I bought engine 8-10yrs ago of ebay for like 55 bucks, which was guaranteed runner, and I built a kart for it, and so in using the factory wiring diagram changed few things around but haven't made harness yet, I quick wired every thing, by the shop manual, and it cranked and ran great for over 30mins while I adjusted carb, checked timing etc... but ran it without muffler which shouldn't hurt anything, and have cranked it, several times then and ran it one day and it quit. so I may need to make the harness which was the plans, to quick wire make sure it works then make final harness based on the connection that worked. so I know it ran fine how I quick wired it, so maybe some of original wires have went bad, and maybe my ground needs attention cause my frame was powder coated, and engine degreased, and acid washed, repainted, and I ground it threw a bolt hold the seats, for the quick wire, and now that I know how it should be wired, I can make the harness, and go from there which will take week or to we're working 70hrs a week right now and haven't had much time, but all my trouble shooting has been threw the factory shop manual, for 200m. anyone know if the cheap cdi on ebay for 8-23 bucks are even compatible with Honda, as advertised, the one I had when running was factory trx 125 and ran great, so either bad ground or cdi did go out, and cheap one not compatible????

wonderboy
05-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Cool project!

There is another great thread about the ebay CDI's and the general consensus was positive! They worked very well. Now, I know that there are a bunch out there from lots of places. Check out this thread and it will give you lots of info:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/144910-1984-200ES-CDI-Replacement-MythBusted

It is for the 200ES, but I think that is very similar to the 200M and electrically I think identical.

wagx2
05-06-2015, 10:35 PM
good information, I may try to find a wiring diagram for the clone cdi I bought to make sure, its wiring is the same, or order one like shown in the thread you posted to me and rewire to go that route, got to be cdi or ground issues.

wagx2
05-26-2015, 08:57 PM
well tried wiring, and all check out except, cdi which ordered 2 off ebay, and still no spark, have ordered the above cdi and pigtail, due to not knowing the wiring of any of the ones I have, so ordered the square plug cdi, and harness. Hope that works. also tried another pickup coil/pulse trigger. but one I ordered was 1/8'' bigger in the diameter of backing plate and it ohm at 39 ohms so must not be correct but one I have ohm at 30 so should be good. but not going to give up once I have the square plug cdi and wire it, may change exicter coil, have 1 of those and new gaskets ready to go, if nothing else happens, everything else has been changed out??

wagx2
06-07-2015, 10:22 PM
bought cdi and plug conversion, from Beatrice cycles/dr atv, and ordered the square plug adaptor and cdi, got my order, and the cdi only has 4 pins, have not opened it, and its different than pictured on there web page, cdi pic, looks like 5 pin and is green or white plug, and is label 88d, the one I got is labeled c50, and the plug is red, and has no clip made into it the keep connector secure, I emailed them back last week and haven't heard anything yet and don't see a wiring diagram for 4 pin cdi, so still stuck until I get ahold of them??