PDA

View Full Version : '85 Shaft Drive mainteance ..

daren1093251
05-10-2015, 10:45 AM
So I bought myself a '85 Big Red 250ES shaft drive. Picked it up 100$ with ownerships in decently good shape. First ride, I forgot to change the diff lube and it was full of water in there (Go ahead, slap me I deserve it) and the bearings broke and chipped the crown and the other gear. Went ahead and chased after those parts second hand for about 6 months, now everything is changed, how do you guys keep your shaft well maintained? I always play in water so I silliconed the boot and put the clamps extra tight for no water, but what kind of lub, how often do you change it, etc?

P.S. : When I shift is it normal that it gives such a 'clunk' on the diff? I tried lowering the RPM and it still gives a clunk, just want to make sure I keep her on top of the game haha Thanks

wonderboy
05-10-2015, 10:53 AM
This will help a little with the water intrusion problem: http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php?dir=Honda+Service+Bulletins%2FATC250ES%2 F&download=1985+ATC250ES+Swingarm+Water+Sealing.pdf

However, my 85 SX (similar rear end to your ES) never sealed like it should. If I ever encountered water, I'd check after the ride and there would always be water in the axle housing. So, I just got used to changing the axle lube anytime I drove through large amounts of water. Fortunately, it doesn't take very much lube, so one bottle of gear oil will last several changes.

My SX always did seem to be a little clunky when going into gear. I think it's just stackup of all the tolerances in the driveline: 90 degree gearbox on the engine, splines on the driveshaft, and ring/pinion in the rear axle. Do you know that the ring/pinion in the rear end is set up properly?

daren1093251
05-10-2015, 02:05 PM
This will help a little with the water intrusion problem: http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php?dir=Honda+Service+Bulletins%2FATC250ES%2 F&download=1985+ATC250ES+Swingarm+Water+Sealing.pdf

However, my 85 SX (similar rear end to your ES) never sealed like it should. If I ever encountered water, I'd check after the ride and there would always be water in the axle housing. So, I just got used to changing the axle lube anytime I drove through large amounts of water. Fortunately, it doesn't take very much lube, so one bottle of gear oil will last several changes.

My SX always did seem to be a little clunky when going into gear. I think it's just stackup of all the tolerances in the driveline: 90 degree gearbox on the engine, splines on the driveshaft, and ring/pinion in the rear axle. Do you know that the ring/pinion in the rear end is set up properly?

Yes it is set up properly, I bought the shaft from our local small engine repair shop. It runs real good doesn't grind of anything just shifting. Like for example for Neutral to 1st the bike jumps a bit, those it a bit less through all gears if I let the RPM go down by a lot. Might be made like that, just want to make 100% sure.

Thanks for the heads up about the bad sealing.

wonderboy
05-10-2015, 02:37 PM
The water leaks on the rear ends gets quite of bit of discussion on the board. Do the service bulletin steps and you'll make a large improvement.

On the lurching when shifting, another thing is to make sure the clutch adjustment is correct. There is an adjuster that comes out of the side of the motor, locked by a nut, and usually (if not lost) covered by a black plastic cap.