PDA

View Full Version : '83 ATC 250R Wheel Removal.

brianb83
05-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Seems like it's probably pretty obvious, but I can't seem to figure the damn thing out. I got it from my cousin, who crashed it some 28 years ago and let it set in a shed since then, and I've just got some tires to change on it. Long story short, every nut came off without a problem (aside from needing a LOT of elbow grease) except for one. The damned thing stripped on me and snowballed from there. Now I'm thinking the only option is to remove the whole thing off the axle, but no clue how to do it with a stripped nut. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wonderboy
05-10-2015, 10:15 PM
If you can remove the central hub nut, you can take the entire hub and wheel off of the axle and work on separating the wheel from the hub on your bench. I don't have any good advice for getting a stuck lugnut off though.

Racer-X
05-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Try a smaller socket and beat it on there with a hammer then try taking it off with your wratchet, maybe heat it up 1st- 2nd option take a grinder and cut the top of the nut then pry it with a screwdriver. (That's if you can even get a grinder in there. You don't want to scratch up those nice gold rims) They also make sockets that cut into the nut for stripped nuts to get them off. Not sure where to find them though.

brianb83
05-11-2015, 01:12 AM
That's what I ended up doing lol. I can't believe I actually posted this thread because I went out there and solved my dilemma in 5 minutes. Blonde moment I suppose.
@Racer-x, that's what my dad suggested but it was more work than actually taking the whole damned wheel off, so I just did that instead.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

brianb83
05-11-2015, 01:21 AM
That's what I ended up doing haha. I feel stupid for posting this thread because I figured it out 5 minutes after I hopped off the computer to mess with it some more.

@Racer-x I tried that originally, but it was a lot more work and a sloppier job than just taking the whole damned wheel off the axle lol

Thanks for the replies guys :)