PDA

View Full Version : 83-84 Honda ATC 250R front forks HELP PLEASE!!!

Danny Whelan
05-10-2015, 10:41 PM
I bought a HONDA ATC 250R a few months ago and im doing a complete restoration on it, after ordering a set a forks from ebay that said they were 250R forks they ended up being the wrong ones. I've taken them to Honda, they cant figure out what kind of forks they are to order a seal kit, so they ended up being useless. My old forks are bent so im wondering if anybody has any idea of where I can get new ones or used ones to fit my trike, or if the ones I have that are bent can be fixed, or if there is forks from another trike that will fit it? I'm running out of options here, my project is at a stand still and its killing me. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated someone please point me in the right direction!!!

Racer-X
05-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Post a picture of the forks so someone can identify them and or check ebay for the correct forks

Danny Whelan
05-11-2015, 12:16 AM
I took them to Honda and theyre best guess was that the forks were from an 85 Honda 350X and I ordered the seal kit for them forks and Honda said they cant fix what they don't know what they are and they look near identical to the originals

wonderboy
05-11-2015, 06:28 AM
Post some pics of the forks so that we can help you identify them for sure.

The external diameter of the fork tubes is identical on the 83-84 250R and the 85-86 350X. The internal diameter of the fork tube on the 250R is just a tiny bit smaller (but this doesn't matter for you). The groove at the top of the tube to show you how far to insert into the triples is in a little bit different location, but you should be able to use a measuring tape and compare to the original one to get the tubes exact (if you are worried about that).

To tell which ones you have, assuming the external diameter is identical is to look at the fork slider for the axle boss and the caliper mounting bosses. The 350X has the front axle boss on the front of the slider and the caliper on the rear. The 83-84 250R has both on the rear of the slider.

Just rebuild your original forks using the 350X fork tubes to replace your bent ones. Just use all your original parts from the 250R, of course except for the 350x tubes and new seals. By the way, Honda calls out the exact same part number for both machines, so you should be good to go.