PDA

View Full Version : Calling All GoPro Users

TrickShot
05-12-2015, 08:49 PM
The GoPro class is now in session.
Greetings. For starters, I have never owned, nor operated a GoPro camera. I am itching to get one after watching all the cool videos there are with them. So I am putting these questions out for current owners or experienced users. So I have several questions we can all have a discussion about. I do like the wifi, Bluetooth capabilities they offer. Currently I am leaning towards the Hero 4 Silver. Anyone have some good reviews or comments for that one. Feel free to ramble off about the one you have, it's pro's and con's, and what ever you like to add.

So to start off with a few off on my brain now:
Which one is the best obviously?
Which one do you all have and use now?
Which one do you wish you had instead?
Do they all have the wide angle fish eye lense?
What is the differance between surf and music type?
Do they all have loop recording?
Which has best battery usage per charge?
I am sure I will have few more but that's a start. Thanks. :)

TrickShot
05-13-2015, 11:54 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/photopixs/Mobile%20Uploads/AnybodyOutThere_zpss9p1xlhs.jpg

ctk
05-14-2015, 10:09 PM
I have theHero 3+ black. Mine has Loop recording.170* wide view. Battery life depends on what mode, what kind of batteries and how many times you turn gopro on/off. Buy the model you can afford.

El Camexican
05-14-2015, 11:50 PM
I have the HERO, not sure if that's the first or second version. With a 16 card set at the highest resolution it runs about 2 hours. The battery will run about 2.5. It does not loop. I've replaced the fish eye lens once. The helmet mount is the way to go. Vehicle mounts vibrate a lot. No sound with the water proof case on it and over 80mph all you hear is a whistle. Had it for at about 6 years, love it.

onformula1
05-15-2015, 02:19 AM
Ask- oscarmayer, his son is sponsored by them for quads, I know they have a few, he is very knowledgeable with that product.

I used a Super 8mm. :lol:

TrickShot
05-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Thanks for some info on them. From what I have looked into on them they are about the same, just different camera MP sizes. I was thinking on the Hero 3 white, but figured might as well go for one of the best, so I don't kick myself later for it. The Hero 4 black and silver are the same from what I've made out just the black does more of a pro video. I'm not good with the terms. :) Was thinking of using it as a dash cam too, as my Top Dawg Dashcam is crapping out on me. (note anyone thinking of getting a TopDawg DON"T they are crap) That's why I was interested in the loop recording option. :D

f76
05-15-2015, 09:19 PM
The black version are for video junkies that make serious high definition and super slow motion videos. For an average user you won't need that stuff. I have a hero 3+ silver and it does everything I want it to. My video editing skills is poor so even if I had the super capabilities of a black version I wouldn't know how to use them. Honestly what I've discovered to making cool videos like what you see go pro feature, is a ton of different cameras all filming at once.

Billy Golightly
05-17-2015, 09:32 AM
I've got like 5 GoPros and love them all, and yes, part of the "trick" is to have a lot of them capturing different angles and perspectives of the same event happening.

The challenge is actually editing the footage and making something usable out of it easily. The Silver (or even white) editions are plenty good for 95% of the people. Even those models, running on the max HD settings are going to put a serious strain on a computer editing it. Some even watching it, if you don't have a fairly new PC, just watching the videos can strain a system. Forget the 2.7k and 4k settings on the black editions unless you know exactly what you're doing. I have a 6 core CPU system with a $200 video card, and those still play like a slideshow on my machine, muchless trying to edit it. If you have any doubts, just go to Youtube and search for some 4k footage, change the resolution to that, and full screen it. See how your computer plays it. Again, playing and editing, 2 entirely different ball games, but if it doesn't play it like butter, don't even bother trying to edit it.

A 6-7 minute long video takes on my system around 3-5 hours to render (basically just the PC crunching away at converting it into a video file) after I finish editing normally, and that could be several days on and off of tweaking on things here and there.

The cameras are great, and man you CAN get some cool stuff with them, but working with all of it and putting it together can definitely be a bit overwhelming.

GoPro has a little program called Studio which allows you to work with some clips and free music fairly easily, that is about the easiest way to get started with the concepts of video editing.

For anyone that hasn't seen my channel, its here: http://youtube.com/hondaatc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnOnBrqi9ss

Billy Golightly
05-17-2015, 09:41 AM
To answer some of the other questions, I have from the Original Hero HD1, on up to the Hero 3 Black (do not have a 4). The black has by far the best quality, but the other ones aren't that bad. Do not expect much from them in low light, this will include in heavily forested areas under trees also.

They all come with the wide angle view, but also offer settings for a "cropped" view that basically only uses the interior part of the image and crops out the distorted corners. This is the one advantage of the higher end more expensive models.
I believe only the Hero 3 Black edition and higher have the loop recording.

TrickShot
05-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Awesome info Billy. Thanks. I will be getting the Hero 4 Silver to try. I like that it takes bigger photos too. Will have to wait till the end of the month though. It's going to be free for me thru the company i work for, so can't beat that. Watching some videos last night on the slow motion stuff is pretty cool too. Lots to learn in time about it though. :)

Dirtcrasher
05-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I ordered the silver edition......

TrickShot
06-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Another quick question. I finally got my gopro hero4. It seems to work nice, although do all go pro's feel warm/hot when using them? Mines not real hot, more over just feels like it's been laying in the sun on a hot day feel. Is that just the way they are?

TrickShot
06-17-2015, 11:13 PM
Well so much for a positive review of the GoPro Hero4 Silver right now. Have only used it a short time less then 10 mins recording time. Took several photos with it. Now it's crapped out on me. Screen freezes, turns purple, has green lines thru it. Have to take the battery out to reset it or hold the Mode button for 10 seconds. I am now in the process to find out how to go about getting a replacement. Maybe it's due to what my last post was implying, with it getting warm when using it. Can't say I'm too happy about it right now, really kinda bummed to be honest. :mad: :mad:

thestud25
06-17-2015, 11:31 PM
I have a brand-new Hero Black 3 I'm letting go for $290. Hell of a deal. Let me know if you want it.

TrickShot
06-18-2015, 03:41 PM
I have a brand-new Hero Black 3 I'm letting go for $290. Hell of a deal. Let me know if you want it.
Thanks for the offer, I called the place where I got my GoPro and they are sending me a replacement. Hopefully this new one will work better. I have high hopes anyway. Never really got to test the one I got now before it crapped out on me. Good luck with your sale though, it's a good deal for sure.