PDA

View Full Version : Ok to run 1984 YTM225DXL without battery?

pinkt
05-13-2015, 10:39 PM
I've heard differing opinions on this...wondering if I anyone knows for sure. I recently got the trike and cleaned fuel system. No key, so I unplugged the ignition switch. It starts easy and runs fine but recently, once it gets hot, it spits and sputters and dies and won't restart until cold again. I suspect the source coil? Wondering if I fried it by running it without a battery or its just coincidentally bad.

Yamawheeler
05-13-2015, 11:00 PM
I run my 200 without a good battery and it's fine. Never dies on me. Still use my lights as well

muthey
05-14-2015, 12:34 AM
the battery on the 225 only runs the neutral light and the electric start lights run directly off the stator, the 200ern is a different matter though. when it sputters out pull the spark plug and check the spark, if it is still a nice blue color then it is not your coil it will more likely be your carb settings. I am leaning towards the carb my self but can't tell till you check the spark.

pinkt
05-14-2015, 06:49 PM
the battery on the 225 only runs the neutral light and the electric start lights run directly off the stator, the 200ern is a different matter though. when it sputters out pull the spark plug and check the spark, if it is still a nice blue color then it is not your coil it will more likely be your carb settings. I am leaning towards the carb my self but can't tell till you check the spark.

Yea, it looks like the spark gets weak after it sputters out, I can barely see it. When it's cold, it starts on one pull and runs great, I cleaned the carb when I got it, so I think the carb is OK. I had a Yamaha 175 enduro that kind of behaved the same way and that ended up being the source coil part of the magneto set, so that's why I'm suspecting that. Also, the fact that it does it when hot leads me to suspect that coil in that hot location dimensionally changes with heat causing it to have a break?

muthey
05-14-2015, 09:52 PM
ok well if you know how to solder then this will be a good option for you http://www.ebay.com/itm/331271268345?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I just bought one and it worked great for me.