PDA

View Full Version : impossible?

hondahowii
05-17-2015, 07:14 PM
hello first of all you guys rock and everything up to date I've searched for you have answered with precision, but I have a problem that has stumped all. maybe one of you can solve my dilemma. I have a 1982 250r but I put a different 250r motor in it (do not know the year it is) but have these numbers from the motor((TBO6E 2102674)) Now my problem is I got on it about 2 weeks ago fired it up and it was running kinda rough, throttled it out and it made a horrible gasping sound and died. Would not start afterwards. Left it alone for a couple of days went to start it and it had hella compression sounded impressively good but when I put it into gear it went into reverse. All gears are backwards. It does not normally have reverse so what the hell happened and how can I fix it?? Going through withdrawals 185 don't cut it, I NEED HELP! Thank you in advance, me...

atc007
05-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Lol,,,I've never seen this on a R. But the only way it can do that is the polarity is backwards on your stator coils. Someone must have soldered one in there backwards. If your old stator is good, throw that in there,or switch your current one around. Pretty cool,,,lol,,not for you,,lol. Must kick like a freaking race horse huh!?

Billy Golightly
05-17-2015, 08:02 PM
Either that or the flywheel turned on the crank and has your interrupter timing off by close to a 180 degrees. Waaay back in the day Howdy had a T3 stator and flywheel set that did the exact same thing!

wonderboy
05-17-2015, 09:10 PM
I agree about the flywheel shifting on the crank, but not 180... that would put all the events near bottom dead center. I think pulling the flywheel off and checking for the key way would be a good first step.

I'm not sure about the stator polarity either. To make the engine run backwards is all about ignition timing. Reversing the polarity of the stator (if it would even run) wouldn't change the timing. The electrical system is AC anyway. I honestly don't know what would happen if you reversed the polarity on the stator, but I think it might actually work the same.

wonderboy
05-18-2015, 07:58 AM
Use this wiring diagram to make sure everything is wired up correctly.

just ben
05-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Timing is off so it will back fire and send the crank in the other direction just like the ski doo sleds do for reverse.

jb2wheels
05-18-2015, 04:31 PM
It started backwards. That's funny. The nitro .049 engines we used to run in little tether cars would sometimes start backwards. That was an eye opener...

Jmoozy27
05-18-2015, 05:51 PM
Ive heard of this happening. That will definitely wake you up!!!:TrikesOwn