PDA

View Full Version : New member recommissioning 1984 200s

BigRedGrizzly
05-25-2015, 11:27 PM
Hi all,
I haven't had one of these since I was a little kid. I just picked up two 84 200s. One is in pretty good condition and just needs some fine tuning. This other one on the lift needs a fair amount of attention. Seat cover. Engine is solid. Adjusted valves, adj, cam chain tensioner, rebuilt carb, and adj. pilot screw. Gas tank had rust in it so I filled it with Metal Rescue and that cleaned it up lickety split. I also soaked the way rusted foot pegs after I used it in the gas tank and it cleaned those baby's up no problem. Just repainted them tonight. I'll be replacing the rear axle bearings and rear brakes along with front brakes and front bearings as well. I lubed all the cables and am replacing the missing right brake lever. I took the rusted rims off and wire brushed the heck out them. Painted them and put on new valve stems and new tires. I also rewound the pull start cord. My wife hasn't seen me in a week and a half. This project should be completed by the end of the week.

Jmoozy27
05-26-2015, 12:18 AM
Looking good, hope you have room because those baby's tend to attract others. Good luck on the build. You will love the site. All sorts of cool stuff here. Use the search bar if you get stumped. Or just ask... :beer

knappyfeet
05-26-2015, 01:47 AM
Looks like you got a nice pair of 200s......and your moving along nicely. I wish I could move that quick. Keep up the good work and keep posting pics.

Ghostv2
05-26-2015, 07:28 AM
What kind of tires did you get? It's hard to beat them oem 2-ply tires. They were designed to be your suspension. The h-tracks actually came in two different versions for hard tails and suspended models.

Very nice job though, like these guys said, prepare for them to multiply. You'll have a blast reliving your childhood.

BigRedGrizzly
05-26-2015, 06:33 PM
I got the Cheng Shin 829s. In these pics I'm installing the front wheel bearings and seals. I was sure to not forget the axle spacer. I'll be adding the newly painted foot pegs tonight. Tomorrow I'm expecting the rest of the parts which are including rear bearings and seals and brakes front and rear. I hope to have it operational by by the end of the night.

Ghostv2
05-26-2015, 07:05 PM
I have those on a 110. They are a pretty good tire for that bike.

Mi-lptroll
05-26-2015, 07:46 PM
Everyone on here is pretty cool, and there is a lot of knowledge on here. Welcome to the forum from another newer member! I started with a 200k and ended up adding a 225dx myself, easy to get addicted [emoji14]

BigRedGrizzly
05-27-2015, 10:54 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27/d655599ea789895f42ab886c19b3ac40.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27/8875041c82808dd5c2c31b717e048e9b.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27/969504234b6b2af1708efee45db1dccd.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27/4565db9f116a2d22d7ceda02bad091db.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27/9fd2f0d3c449e562ac8f6dc2e2c0825e.jpg

Tonight I got the front and rear brakes installed. Replaced the right brake lever and adjusted. Installed rear bearings. Mounted the front tire, cleaned, and rebuilt the carb with a kit from Freedom County ATV. The pilot screw on the original carb was missing the rubber o-ring and washer. Now the thing idles like champ.. Nice and smooth. Looks like I'll be waiting to install the new to me (used) axle I purchased from the store here. Coming from Alabama to Jersey.. I hate waiting for parts. My wife tells me to enjoy the sweet anticipation.

BigRedGrizzly
05-28-2015, 07:39 AM
Last night I was able to get the rear bearings and seals installed, replaced the right brake lever, and installed new brakes front and rear and adjusted. I finally mounted the front tire to the frame and its beginning to look like a functional trike again. I was also having trouble with starting the other 200s so I rebuilt the carb with a kit from Freedom County ATV. I changed out the pilot screw and adj. , low range jet, and the idle screw or throttle stop screw. It's running really smooth and sounds great. I need to run to the dealer after work and pickup the seal for the rear brake drum assembly. The last thing in waiting for is an axle that I bought from the store here at 3WW. That won't get here until Monday so my plan of having this done by the weekend is out the window. I hate waiting for parts. My wife tells me to enjoy the sweet anticipation. I get it. But I want to get this project completed, so I can make room for the next one. :beer

markturbo
05-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Nice work, good to see another ATC being saved

BigRedGrizzly
05-29-2015, 09:18 PM
The 200s with the blue seat is the ATC I'm referring to. OK, so I didn't get the axle in yet, it's not coming in until Monday. However, I could not resist the urge to get everything together to take it for a quick spin to see how it feels. So, I put the old axle back in, put on the sprockets and chain, hubs and tires and let it down off the lift. Rolled it out to the driveway and let my sister take it for the first ride. She reports all good things. I'm satisfied. I'll finish everything up on Monday when the new axle comes in. However, the ATC with the black seat has a wobbly front end when I pick up some speed. It's controllable when hanging on but as soon as you let go the front just wants to wobble left and right. It was doing this initially so I replaced the bearings but it hasn't improved. Could it be worm bearing in the steering stem? I didn't notice any play but I didn't give it a good inspection yet. Any suggestions?

barnett468
05-29-2015, 10:03 PM
the ATC with the black seat has a wobbly front end when I pick up some speed. It's controllable when hanging on but as soon as you let go the front just wants to wobble left and right. It was doing this initially so I replaced the bearings but it hasn't improved. Could it be worm bearing in the steering stem? I didn't notice any play but I didn't give it a good inspection yet. Any suggestions?
i would get the front end in the air and simply sit in front of it and grab the fork tubes at the axle and try to pull it forward . . if it moves, they are loose.

BigRedGrizzly
05-29-2015, 10:21 PM
Got it. Thanks. I'll give shot tomorrow.

BigRedGrizzly
05-30-2015, 10:28 AM
Oh yeah... It's sloppy.... Back to parts diagram. [emoji385]

Ghostv2
05-30-2015, 03:21 PM
I wish I had a garage and half your motivation lol. Today I tackled my 200s and finally decided to replace the ignition stator after it sitting for two long years.

Those trikes look awesome, keep it up man.

BigRedGrizzly
05-30-2015, 10:33 PM
Thanks, man. I'm fortunate to have a garage, tools, know how, and motivation.
I'm glad that I didn't order parts yet and waited until I did the disassembly. After taking the front end apart it became obvious that the spanner bolt was quite loose allowing for the slop in the steering stem. Tightened it up and put it back together. Much better... No more wobble. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/30/fecd11d06241f1134bf7626ab171abec.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/30/dc492710a34019f5e350cbdcc633d094.jpg

barnett468
05-30-2015, 10:52 PM
xlnt . . did you grease the bottom bearings also?

BigRedGrizzly
05-31-2015, 06:36 AM
No... It wasn't to dry. The previous owner stripped it down to the frame and did it earlier. They weren't bad at all, just loose. I figured I'd slam more grease in the top since I had it apart.

BigRedGrizzly
06-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Hi all.... For this discussion I will be referring to the 2 Atcs as Atc A and Atc B. Recently started having a problem with ATC 200s B. I'm not certain if it's the weak spark or a problem with the carb. It was running pretty good but I knew it was missing the O-ring and washer for the pilot screw so I bought a rebuild kit from Feedom County ATV. I replaced the low speed jet, idle adj. screw or throttle stop screw, pilot screw with spring o-ring and washer. Also replaced the bowl drain and o-ring. I also cleaned the heck out the carb with carb cleaner and blew compressed air through every orifice I could find. Reassembled, and it would not start. I pulled it with atc A to bump start it and it finally fired up in high second gear. I managed to keep it running and adj. the pilot screw and idle. The thing is reving high. I have the pilot screw about 2 1/4 turns out. When I get the idle set to where it sounds correct it slowly dies. If I turn the idle up a hair it revs high again. I shut it off and restarted with out a problem since it was warm. I tried to start again cold, no dice. Did the whole disassemble clean carb and jets again. Reassembled and still nothing. Checked for spark in the dark and I can barely see a spark. There must be one since it was running. I took the carb from Atc A and put it on Atc B and it still wouldn't fire. I put carb from Atc B on Atc A and Atc A did not fire either. I think I have a combo spark/carb problem. I'm thinking it may benefit from a new coil so I ordered one from EBay since they are pretty cheap. Does anybody have any suggestions or tests I can run to figure this out. I do have a multimeter but I'm not sure what readings should be. Also, I should mention where the spark plug boot attaches to the coil wire was loose. It looks like it just threads on so I tightened it up a bit. Still nothing. Thanks guys.

Jmoozy27
06-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Daryl, check your fuel tank lid, it may be vapor locked. First, im sure that you know this, it must be set to the on position. Try running it with the cap loose. If that does not fix the problem, the next place I would look is the jets. Did you use the jets from the rebuild kit? Sometimes they can be wrong because the kit is generic and fits multiple models. Also check your carb slide, it may have a groove where the idle screw sits causing it to be stuck at one height. You can file that down. Let us know?

BigRedGrizzly
06-02-2015, 01:53 PM
You know what... I'm going to put back the original jets and pilot screw with the new ohh-ring and the washer and see if that does anything. Funny you should mention the vapor lock issue. I noticed when pulling the fuel line off the tank it was pretty difficult. When it did come off it sounded like it may have been suctioned on. I have vent switch in the cap but may be its clogged. I'll let you know how I make out tonight. Thanks for the guidance.

Jmoozy27
06-02-2015, 02:13 PM
You know what... I'm going to put back the original jets and pilot screw with the new ohh-ring and the washer and see if that does anything. Funny you should mention the vapor lock issue. I noticed when pulling the fuel line off the tank it was pretty difficult. When it did come off it sounded like it may have been suctioned on. I have vent switch in the cap but may be its clogged. I'll let you know how I make out tonight. Thanks for the guidance. No problem, did your axle arrive yet?

BigRedGrizzly
06-02-2015, 07:31 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/02/44061b029728e2a6fb215a3d493ff09a.jpg
Schwing!
Thanks, J

Jmoozy27
06-03-2015, 12:08 AM
If you need anything else for the build I will let you get it for the cost of shipping. Just let me know.

BigRedGrizzly
06-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Thanks, J. It has been a pleasure dealing with you. I should be pretty good if I can get this carb/spark figured out.

BigRedGrizzly
06-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Ok. So I have made some progress. I have been able to confirm spark. I took the carb apart again and cleaned the heck of it with carb cleaner. I blew the heck out of it with compressed air. I put the old carb parts back in that we're in the last time it was running. The only test I have not run is compression. Would the engine still run if compression is low but will not start from pull start? I'm able to bump start it and it will run. I tried with the fuel cap off also. Nothing. Any other possibilities or suggestions?

BigRedGrizzly
06-04-2015, 07:56 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/04/2e3de755d25631275191aa2d3a6d2d09.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/04/8f7c8bca182881e4cab36a259e07b55e.jpg

What does this plug say? It looks wet but it's not. It's just dark.

BigRedGrizzly
06-04-2015, 08:10 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/04/6862f653f38d23bf67f149cbbc75a979.jpg
Changed the plug out with a brand spankin new one. Fired up no problem. I wish I had done that sooner. Would have easily saved me a couple dozen carb removal and installs. Hey, I know may way around the carb like champ now.

Jmoozy27
06-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Trial and error, learn from your mistakes. Problem solving becomes a habit. How is she running? Better with the OEM jets?

BigRedGrizzly
06-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Yeah... Great. Took it for a nitro burn on the street over to my sisters house. Idles great and is smooth. I'm camping with my son and the cub scouts tomorrow so I'll be putting that axle on Sunday. Think I should strip the paint first or does it not matter? I need to buy larger snap ring pliers to get the sprocket off the old one. The ones I have don't open wide enough. I have been able to take it from this to this.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/05/e7b2f9d3a3bd60b1995d115eb1f68b87.jpg

Jmoozy27
06-06-2015, 12:21 AM
The paint is strictly up to you. If you want it off you can likely just hit it with a wire wheel to get it off and polish it somewhat at the same time.

BigRedGrizzly
06-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Hey J... Installed that axle today. What an improvement from the original. The axle was causing the hubs to have a lot excess play. The new one snugged things up. I'll tell ya.. Getting that snap ring off the axle to remove the sprocket was a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. My snap ring pliers couldn't get it open enough so I had to kind get it up over one side and then work it around. Going was a breeze. I kept the paint.

Jmoozy27
06-07-2015, 11:54 PM
Good I'm glad it helped. So do you have both of them back to snuff or do you have more work to do?

BigRedGrizzly
06-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Yep... They are both good to go now.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/08/b57ab3b9b7df86b1d1f5fe26bd9a119e.jpg
I'm going to look at a 85 200x tomorrow. Looks like it's in decent shape but I've been reading that parts are hard to come by for one. I'm a little nervous about that.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/08/b94af78ba7609bbd643176b853ee177b.jpg

newfie atc
06-08-2015, 07:37 PM
WOW. Those bikes look mint!

80gmck10
06-08-2015, 09:16 PM
nice and clean lookin tanks man. weak link on those to watch out for is mud and water getting down the pull cord and into the stator windings where the grime will get sanded into the coils by the rotor. other than that those bikes are frikin unstoppable in my opinion.

BigRedGrizzly
06-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Hey K10... Thanks man. I might actually have that issue. Not 100% sure what the heck is going on. I put a new plug in it the other day and it seem to run pretty good. It would idle nice.. Then rev up gaining RPMs.. I would blip the throttle and it would hang and back fire. It was trying to die but I kept blipping the throttle to keep it alive. But with every second it was getting worse. It eventually died and I could not restart it. Plug looked fine. I must say though when I got this thing there was mud, I mean a lot of mud everywhere. I feel like the carb is good but I keep second guessing my self. I need to do the Barnett float level test with clear tubing. I was reading another post where some one has had the some problems I'm having. I replaced the coil and that didn't seem to have any major effect. When I check for spark on the fins of the head it's barely noticeable. In fact I'm not sure I even see it to be honest. I was hoping replacing the coil would have fixed that but I guess it didn't. I checked the advance timing and that's D on BA. (Dead on Balls Accurate) For some reason the problem seems to arise when it's hot. Might be that stator you had mentioned. I'm going to have to do more reading and tests. Thanks for the tip.

I also checked out that 1985 200x today. I was very disappointed. The guy wanted $1200. for it. Unfortunately, this thing was in pretty beat up shape. It seemed to run good, had a DG exhaust on it it was LOUD. The head had JB Weld all over it and around the exhaust valve adj. port. There was getting that cap off to adj. the valve. It was a mess. The exhaust manifold had JB weld all over also. It was like they used it as puddy to seal it up. The down tube from the neck had cracked and a really sloppy weld. I mean the thing looked like it had a long bulging growth on it. Not good. I offered $700 but thinking about it now that was too much. I'm glad he didn't accept my offer. The search goes on.....
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/09/18580e2c6f9be07133b672b513fef541.jpg

knappyfeet
06-09-2015, 11:55 PM
How were the plastics on it? I see on Ebay engine parts are more readily available and not that costly. However fenders and stuff is a whole other story.

BigRedGrizzly
06-10-2015, 06:37 AM
They were in decent shape... Scuffed up stuff but intact. No cracks.

arlaunch
09-27-2015, 11:38 PM
BRG,

Have you done the spark test with the lights out and the outside of the plug touching the cylinder head?

I am curious about the end result of all that hard work.