PDA

View Full Version : Another ATC (after a 30 year wait)

LilRed
05-26-2015, 01:27 PM
I finally got a 'big' ATC this weekend after looking high and low for that last year or so. The first one I ever rode was a Big Red in '85 and I was hooked, I never forgot that feel. We all grew up on dirt bikes out here (canyon areas) so that's what I've been on until we got the little 70 2 years ago. It's been such a hit with with my 7 year old that we figured a big one was in order so we can ride together.

Here she is, an '85 250SX. I purposely looked for one of these as I like/need the full suspension and I prefer the e-start and reverse comforts of these bigger ones.

It's very original right down to that factory front tire. Wish me good luck getting that off.

Anyhow, we're now a 2 trike family. :cool:

Scott

Jmoozy27
05-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Congrats, nice find!

onformula1
05-26-2015, 03:28 PM
Good job, looks real clean

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

BigRedGrizzly
05-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Nice...congrats.....good things come to those who wait.

markturbo
05-27-2015, 08:28 AM
Looks to be in good shape. I've waited years for my trike to pop up for sale, but no luck so Im finally building one from parts.

LilRed
05-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys. I was holding out for a 250SX in particular so that made it harder. We don't have too many out here and those that are around tend to be beat up pretty bad. That and most are without titles which means we can't ride (no stickers if no title...).

More good news, I went to pull the original front tire last night as it needs replacing. The axle came right out. I consider myself very lucky...

markturbo
05-27-2015, 12:52 PM
You are lucky the axle came out. I got an 86 rear swingarm complete with axle off ebay and I did get lucky with the axle nuts backing off but I ran out of luck when trying to remove the brake hub.

SpyderAtc
05-27-2015, 03:20 PM
That's a nice looking ATC.

big specht
05-27-2015, 06:39 PM
You live where there isn't any rust/corrosion or at least very little so I would hope for the axle to come out. But yea it looks like you found a good one there they are getting harder and harder to find anymore

LilRed
05-27-2015, 06:55 PM

Thanks. My plans are to replace that front tire a renew the fluids. It photographs better than it is, the tank has paint damage on top from leaking (probably upright storage) and the plastic is strategically zip-tied in places. A great 10 footer for sure! And it runs like new which makes my life easier to start.

It has a replacement carb on there which works fine but I'd like to rebuild the original that the owner threw in. Of course it's all gummed up and the float bowl has a mounting corner broken off. I'm just glad it came with it. Oh and I'll keep an eye out for a complete tail light unit if one ever comes up.

Dbrown016
06-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Congrats! From the pictures that thing looks super clean