PDA

View Full Version : need help on the valve timing

ctim63
05-26-2015, 06:43 PM
hi all i am new an i am repairing a 82 i think it is a kz200 or klt 200 win i got it avery time i try to start it it back fires throu the carb i think it is out of time so that is y i am asking for the valve timing numbers so i hope there is some one out there can help thanks..

Mi-lptroll
05-26-2015, 07:48 PM
There is a site that has a lot of the service manuals and you can download them for free. Let me see if I can find it and I'll post it on here. Has a bunch of makes and models.

Mi-lptroll
05-26-2015, 07:49 PM
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/
I downloaded the manual for my yamahas and it had all of that info in there and more. Worth a look! If not I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the klt's will be along [emoji14]

jarbergers
05-26-2015, 08:45 PM
This could be caused by one of several different things. Here’s just a few suggestions.

Remove the spark plug, camshaft cover, valve covers and the small round plug with a big slot in it on side of cases. This plug is the timing inspection hole. There is a groove in the threads of this hole that the marks on the flywheel should line up to. The T mark is for top dead center. The F mark is to be used with a timing lite to check timing with the engine running.

Put your finger in the hole and rotate engine until you feel air pushing out, then slowly rotate engine a little more until you see the letter T on the flywheel in the inspection hole. Line it up with the groove in the threads. You can also just watch the intake valve as you rotate the engine and once it closes, start looking for the T to appear in the site window.

Once the T is properly lined up, line in the cam sprocket that says KLT200, or if there is no line, then the dot, should point up at the line in the top of the cylinder head. Due to cam chain stretch, the mark on the cam gear might be rotated slightly to the rear of the mark on the head. If it is rotated more than around 10 mm or 3/8” away from it, you have a problem which could be excessive chain stretch or the chain jumped a tooth or more or the flywheel keyway broke allowing the flywheel to spin on the crankshaft.

Cylinder head timing mark

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/Tw4AAOxyUgtTO34M/$_57.JPG

The valve settings are intake .003” - .005” exhaust .007” - .009”

Devilsclaw
05-26-2015, 09:57 PM
I highly doubt it's the timing, unless it's been really messed with. Mechanical timing is either right or wrong-no adjustment and the CDI takes care of the rest. You need to get a manual. Haynes made a good one available in the usual places.
Clean the carb and set it to factory specs and I bet your problem will go away. (And get an air box on it)

Mi-lptroll
05-26-2015, 10:27 PM
I'd say start with the carb but if you have the time and the know how I'd imagine it doesn't hurt to check your valves. Mine on my 200 were off to the point that my header pipe would start to glow when I tried to keep it running. My engine I believe was disassembled and reassembled by the previous owner though and never returned to "good running" condition

MonroeMike
05-27-2015, 11:34 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/126871-KLT200-250-Service-Data