PDA

View Full Version : Help with problem not running Yamaha 225 Trimoto

225 Trimoto
05-28-2015, 08:13 PM
Hi my Yamaha 225 trimoto is not running it has baffled me for a while and is still baffling me. What it is is that it does not run on factory setting for carb if i adjust the setting quite a bit richer it might run but very rough and it surges very quickly . you do not even have to push the throttle much and it surges. I was wondering if perhaps it might be the valves but dont know. Because no adjusting on the carb helps at all. And carb cleaner if you have enough in the tank helps a little. A lawn mower i worked on wouldnt start till i cleaned the valves and carb and it had much the same symptoms. Please help !!!!!!!!!! the machine has been sitting around and every time iget it running and ride it it almost seems to get worse. I woould so like to drive it.:mad::wondering

Yamawheeler
05-29-2015, 10:17 AM
New jets in carb? Check fuel cack could be plugged up like mine was. Do valves tick at all

ugethergoinyet
05-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Download the manual from 3ww or google it.. take the valve covers off. Take the timing indicator cover off. Find pull it over til u find top dead center.. theres a line on the flywheel. Check if the valves move. if not spin the engine 360 degrees and check it again. Because its a four stroke. Once u found TDC u should have some movement or play. check adjustment with a feeler guage. If its off. Loosen the lock nut and adjust thr valve to the spec.. something like 0.12 or 0.08 for exhaust valve and 0.05 for intake...just an example i cant remember....if that doesnt do it. Its carb related or throttle cable

briano
05-29-2015, 12:34 PM
Cleaning the carb involves more than putting carb cleaner in your gas. Pull the carb apart and clean it. You have something plugged up inside the carb.

Jmoozy27
05-29-2015, 01:21 PM
That is the issue, completely disassemble the carb and clean all of the jets and blow every hole out with compressed air.

225 Trimoto
05-29-2015, 04:58 PM
That is the issue, completely disassemble the carb and clean all of the jets and blow every hole out with compressed air.

The carb is clean ive cleaned it many times do you think its an air leak? i dont want to dig into the engine very fast cause all that timing chain and all that stuuf is there do you think i should try maybe getting a carb rebuild kit? :(:wondering:wondering but i will clean the carb again with carb fluid

225 Trimoto
05-29-2015, 10:52 PM
The carb is clean ive cleaned it many times do you think its an air leak? i dont want to dig into the engine very fast cause all that timing chain and all that stuuf is there do you think i should try maybe getting a carb rebuild kit? :(:wondering:wondering but i will clean the carb again with carb fluid

do you think the timing is out of wack? it might not be getting the fuel at the right time? or letting the exhaust out at the right time?:wondering

Mi-lptroll
05-30-2015, 06:21 AM
Im pretty new to all of to all of this myself but Ill try. Is it backfiring into the airbox? is the header pipe getting hot? If so and you've tried starting fluid around the intake and whatnot Id look into your valves. I just went through all of this with my 200k. Valves ended up being out of adjustment. Best of luck!

225 Trimoto
05-30-2015, 08:09 AM
itts not backfiring in the air box but it backfires something horrible out of the exhaust the whole engine gets hot very quickly though its probably either the timing or valves or carberatur

Mi-lptroll
06-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Have you made any progress?

225 Trimoto
06-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Have you made any progress?

I havent had enough time

Mi-lptroll
06-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Such is life my friend. Well keep us posted when you do get to it!

225 Trimoto
06-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Such is life my friend. Well keep us posted when you do get to it!

does it matter what type of gas i use? like should i use premium, regular,or purple farm gas in my ATC?:w00t::):wondering:naughty:

Mi-lptroll
06-16-2015, 11:29 AM
I would stick to regular unleaded [emoji14] . I did see an Atc 250r that runs on alcohol on Craigslist the other day though... >:)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

225 Trimoto
06-18-2015, 02:51 PM
I changed some parts in the carburetor and now it runs very rough blowing black and white smoke I still have not checked the valves and I ran it for like 5 seconds and it got very hot and overheated in just that very short timeand I think its running lean but I would still like to have some advice on what to do exactly I'm not sure what it isplease help I want to get this machine running....!?.?!!!???

Degoragon
06-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Firstly, try readjusting the carb, if not, it may be a timing issue. The rough running may be an indicator of the latter.

By "running rough" does it still backfire a lot? That's one question to ask for the potential timing issue

225 Trimoto
06-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Firstly, try readjusting the carb, if not, it may be a timing issue. The rough running may be an indicator of the latter.

By "running rough" does it still backfire a lot? That's one question to ask for the potential timing issue

it idles good its also gutless and surges if u put the throttle down hard or hold it halfway it seems to be running leam lean isnt that a symptom of surging?:acr:cool:

Yamawheeler
06-20-2015, 10:14 AM
What did you all change in you carb?

225 Trimoto
06-22-2015, 06:58 PM
What did you all change in you carb?

i changed the needle and seat for float and needle on top and o ring on main jet

Yamawheeler
06-23-2015, 09:11 AM
Where did you out main jet clip could be to high or to low.

225 Trimoto
06-23-2015, 09:18 PM
I set it halfway to begin with but rais er d it one notch it runs better now it doesn't backfire now

225 Trimoto
06-23-2015, 11:46 PM
today I started on it up and it ran good l drove up a steep hill and then went for a drive down the road and it ran perfectly until I hit and I had lots of power until I hit washboard and then it got back to surging again so I'm Wonder ing if there is something in the gas tank

225 Trimoto
06-24-2015, 11:22 PM
I think that it is something to do with fuel valve cock it has probably has something in it and it is cause he had to move or something and it will the junk will settle in and it will Let the gas through and then it will pick up the junk and block it again

muthey
06-25-2015, 01:51 AM
you were definitely running a lean condition, check your intake boot going from the carb to the motor by spraying it with starting fluid if it idles high from it the boot is cracked or the o-rings are shot. Also what is the main jet size, because it may be the wrong jet people have been known to put the chinese carbs on there, and they are known to have the wrong jets in them. you should be running a 112.5 main jet, and a #20 pilot jet. On your idle air mix it should go rubber o-ring washer spring into the carb and the screw should be 1 7/8 to 2 turns out from seating. I would still check the tank and petcock out for debris as well but double check your carb and intake. Make sure your air filter is oiled as well those machines use a wet air filter element, unless other wise noted because the jetting changes if it is used dry. These machines were also designed to run on 85 octane, however running higher octane wont hurt it as higher octane fuel runs cooler. you should also be running a ngk D7ea spark plug for the right spark temp. is your spark plug black and sooty or white, does it have oily residue on it?

muthey
06-25-2015, 01:52 AM
you can also tell if you have a chinese carb if it has a lever on the carb for choke instead of using a cable going up to the dash with a lever.

225 Trimoto
06-27-2015, 09:45 AM
you can also tell if you have a chinese carb if it has a lever on the carb for choke instead of using a cable going up to the dash with a lever.

well the carb is a genuine yamaha carb as for the boot where do u spray starting fluid on the outside or the inside im running regular gas and it runs better than with dyed gas it does not have a OEM filter but it has a filter but im gonna clean the petcock and see how it works then:idea::TrikesOwn:):w00t:

muthey
06-28-2015, 12:27 AM
You spray on the outside all around the boot. Also always run regular gasoline, these weren't designed to run anything else. The non OEM airfilter can be causing the lean condition as well stock jetting is for an oiled OEM filter that draws air through the frame. I like to use Carb cleaner because it makes the motor die out insted of starting fluid which causes it to surge higher.

225 Trimoto
06-30-2015, 08:33 PM
You spray on the outside all around the boot. Also always run regular gasoline, these weren't designed to run anything else. The non OEM airfilter can be causing the lean condition as well stock jetting is for an oiled OEM filter that draws air through the frame. I like to use Carb cleaner because it makes the motor die out insted of starting fluid which causes it to surge higher.

i tried that but there is no leaks there is no gasket between the carb and the boot connecting it to the engine so im gonna get a gasket also when it gets hot it does not run as good as when its codl or just warming up but it idles perfectly!!!:postwhore:(:pics:

muthey
07-01-2015, 02:47 PM
there is an o-ring between the intake and the cylinder head, so if that is good you don't need a gasket, run it till it starts acting funny then shut it off and check the spark on the spark plug it may be your cdi is failing

225 Trimoto
07-01-2015, 08:07 PM
k thanks ill try it i have replaced the o ring between the carberatur and the intake manifold ill check between the intake manifold and the cylinder head see if that o ring is not good