PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Diesel Truck purchase...

Caminofeld
06-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Hello everyone, I'm in the market for a used truck and need some advice. I've been shopping around and narrowed it down to 2 that I like. I'm on a budget of 15k or less and have some requirements:

-Diesel
-4wd
-back seat
-long bed

My scope of vehicle operations is this:
-making 3-5 round trips a week from PA to Baltimore (for work, gym, and PT). Usually 45 min one way
-doing work around my property (hilly, soft soil). Work includes pulling trailer, moving various heavy things
-getting out of my steep, snowy driveway around 20x/yr
-various hauling tasks (including trikes:), some heavy duty like yards of gravel, etc.
-occasional road trips with whole days of driving once or twice a year

The 2 trucks I like are:

1999 Dodge 2500; 4x4, AT, 5.9 Cummins Diesel, brand new tires, rear bench, long bed, 130K miles of weekend use hauling a medium trailer, well-maintained, all stock. $13,999

2000 Ford F250; 4x4, AT, 7.3 Diesel, rear bench, long bed, 6" lift, 35" tires, 168K miles, good cosmetic shape. $15, 999

I've shopped around quite a bit now and the prices seem fair (plus offering me $1500 trade-in for my ol' beater that's about to die). Should I keep shopping or pick one of these? I would like to get 5+ more years out of whatever I buy before it falls apart. Thanks guys!

Jmoozy27
06-01-2015, 02:35 PM
2000 Ford F250 - Price seems a little on the high side but if you are comfortable with it I say pull the trigger.

The cummins is a fantastic motor but im not sure if I trust the old tranny.

Good luck!!!!

plastikosmd
06-01-2015, 05:25 PM
funny, I would have gone with the lower mileage motor. I am waiting for Fabio to chime in. He will have good advice

Racer-X
06-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Wow those are some really high prices compared to whats here in Pittsburgh.
I recommend going to another state.
15,000 will get you 3 of those trucks. My brother recently got the same dodge ram.............oh wait, I know why your prices are so high. You're looking at trucks from a stealership. I mean dealership aren't you. You need to look on craigslist. You'll find those same trucks for 5-6-7-8 grand.
PS don't get sold on the "they run for 300,000 or more miles" line. Although that may be true, the rest of the truck still falls apart just like the rest of them do.

Racer-X
06-01-2015, 08:39 PM
I would also say the ford Allison transmission is better but the Cummins motor is better. But dodges always seem to be rust buckets around here at least . so go with the ford or chevy

Red Rider
06-01-2015, 09:18 PM
I would also say the ford Allison transmission is better but the Cummins motor is better.When did Ford have an Allison transmission? I thought that was Chevy's claim to fame. :wondering

barnett468
06-01-2015, 09:19 PM
in addition to craigslist that was mentioned, check on ebay.

if both trucks are close to you and you haven't driven both yet, you should do that . . you might be able to easily make your mind up after that.

if you like the dodge but prefer that it had a bit more power, you can easily get more, by simply adding a power chip or something similar.

yeah, a modified 5.9 in a ford would be nice.

big specht
06-01-2015, 09:26 PM
I'm sure know about the rusted over there in pa. I would go for the ford if it was cheaper (I'm a ford guy). But a stock dodge with a cummins is getting hard to come buy , but they are known for weak trannys and junk front end ( besides the rust)

coolpool
06-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Its always a crap shoot buying anything, regardless of badge loyalty. As stated you'll have to drive both and form a non biased opinion. Make a list and give them a score from 1-10; cabin noise, steering, braking, acceleration etc. I have a 06 5.9 Cummins and I'm fixing a rusted through oil pan. Figure that one out???? Not sure about your prices as I can't compare to what we pay in Canada. Good luck!

Caminofeld
06-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the good advice guys! I went back today and took a closer look at both trucks. The Dodge had MAJOR cancer underneath...almost as bad as my old K5. Once it's beyond the help of a little black rustoleum it's a no-go. Long story short I went with the Ford. I got underneath of it and, aside from a few spots of very minor surface rust, it looks very clean. The brake lines look fresh, the RC lift done right (as in professionally), no signs of leakage, etc. I got $1500 for a truck worth only its weight in scrap, had some surplus cash to throw at it, and was able to finance through my fiance's credit union for 2%. Long story short, I'm a happy camper. Thanks again guys!

Caminofeld
06-01-2015, 09:42 PM
One more question though: Are there any issues with the 7.3 that I should be aware of? I seem to remember Fabio posting about a spare part that should be kept in the glove box, because if it blows out the truck won't run:wondering

YTZ drew
06-01-2015, 10:04 PM
I'm not aware of any major issues with the power stroke 7.3, but they do require clean oil. The injection system relies on the engine oil to hydraulically fire the injectors. If the oil is allowed to get very dirty for extended periods, they can actually have running problems. I believe all the 7.3's also had issues with porosity in the lower cylinder walls if the coolant was not maintained. There's an additive to put in the coolant (Nalcool?) that helps prevent it.

barnett468
06-01-2015, 10:14 PM
One more question though: Are there any issues with the 7.3 that I should be aware of? I seem to remember Fabio posting about a spare part that should be kept in the glove box, because if it blows out the truck won't run:wondering

I for one don't know, however, I just did a Google search and found the following which may or may not include Fabio's suggestion.

http://dieseliq.com/9-common-problems-with-73-power-stroke-diesel-engines

Racer-X
06-01-2015, 10:21 PM
I think Fabio might have been talking about a line for the turbo that blows on the power stroke fords. You'll here the pressure escaping sound then all your power will be gone. Cheap and easy fix but can leave you stuck on the side of the road if you don't have a spare. I would keep it in the glovebox.
As for ford and the Allison trans......I deleted some of the sentence and didn't proof read. Good catch red rider. The Allison is in Chevy's.

Red Rider
06-01-2015, 10:45 PM
What........we have here today is failure to comoonicate and about a 6-8k loss witch is the way he wants it so ..........he gets it...some men you just ca`nt reach.....I don't like it any more than you do...

Caminofeld
06-01-2015, 11:57 PM
What........we have here today is failure to comoonicate and about a 6-8k loss witch is the way he wants it so ..........he gets it...some men you just ca`nt reach.....

Dude, it's not even like that. I don't have the cash to buy it off craigslist and my current vehicle is, quite literally, about to die any day. I don't have time to wait for a steal, I just need a decent truck in the next week or so...not to mention I'll need room for a 2nd car seat soon as well:) I know it's a little on the high side, but it's the best I can do as of now.

No hard feelings though, I appreciate the constructive criticism.

El Camexican
06-02-2015, 12:34 AM

That sounds more like one would say in reference to a module for a Delco HEI distributor.:wondering Not some much of an issue on a Diesel as long as your plug gap is correct.;)

Dave Little
06-02-2015, 12:55 AM
7:24 from "Hey guys..." to 'happy camper' sounds like you didn't need much hand-holding

200xman
06-02-2015, 06:25 AM
The 7.3 part you want in the glove box is a cam sensor. They fail and shut the truck down.

sledcrazyinCT
06-02-2015, 07:20 AM
The 7.3 part you want in the glove box is a cam sensor. They fail and shut the truck down.

beat me to it....also buy it from an international truck dealer they are cheaper then going to a ford dealer

Caminofeld
06-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Wow Glamy, "Dump of a house"? Sounds like you're getting a little too personal there, buddy. I'm not about to start an internet pissing contest with a stranger; but I will say that you don't know me, and therefore have no right to judge me. You have no idea what I've been through in the last few years that put me in the position I am in now. From surviving a near-fatal car accident which left me temporarily disabled and with medical bills in the mid-six figures to massive Attorney fees from an ongoing custody battle where I'm fighting for a safe and healthy environment for my little boy, I've been through quite a bit more than the average Joe.

I respect your honest opinion, but don't get up on your high horse until you've walked a day in my shoes.

Buck Snort
06-02-2015, 03:07 PM
I paid top dollar for a 1996 7.3 a year and half ago. I am super happy with my purchase. Enjoy your truck!

Caminofeld
06-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Point taken......the house comment is not at you it`s the way alot of people approach personal finances i`ve seen it too many times ! So leasing was`nt an option ? It`s just a huge hit i hate to see someone get taken like that ! Not doggen ya bro.....what kind of APR did you get ? ......but wait you could back under a 3 day buyer remorse ......if they have that there .....the best book value for kelley was 10.4k from dealer

It's all good bro. Like I said, I got $1500 knocked off in trade, talked them down another $500, threw a few K at it, and got a 2% APR through my fiancees credit union (they would only finance through a "stealership"-thank you Racer-x lol-). I know I took a hit on the price, but hopefully in the next few years I can get back on my feet and do it right...or, if I'm VERY lucky, I'll get another 5-10 years out of it and it won't be such a waste. With the exception of trikes, I definitely don't beat on vehicles like used to...so my hope is that routine maintenance and a little TLC will give me a few extra years. I also have 2K set aside in case the need arises for any major repairs down the road. Future plans are to Rhino-line the bed and rockers...and apply my "coat of black rusto to the undercarriage a few times a year" technique. I've done the black rusto thing with all of my previous vehicles and it definitely helps keep the cancer away. Cheers!

jays375
06-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Diesel truck prices are crazy right now.Especially pre 07.5.I just bought a 09 Chevy extended cab 8ft bed.Truck was out of Texas.It is a clean fleet truck.Mileage is high,but highway.All major issue parts were replaced.So far only big problem is little hard on fuel.I'm liking it.

Red Rider
06-04-2015, 12:31 AM
...So far only big problem is little hard on fuel.I'm liking it.Congrats! At least diesel is the least expensive fuel once again, the way it should be.

RoscoW
06-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Can't keep or find used diesels in the province up here. instantly bought up, convert the spedo over and south of the border they go. My neighbours Duramax already had a buyer before it was picked up from his driveway.

Ross..

Caminofeld
07-04-2015, 12:18 AM
Quick update: at the very end things ended up not working out on the F250 due to a shady dealer. Shopped around and found a '99 F250 for 12K...and they lifted it with wheels/tires for another 3K. Ironically enough, after the discussion on here regarding the position sensor I ordered one that should be here on Monday to keep in the glove box...and within a few hours of purchase the stock unit went up and left me stranded for hours on the side of the highway:mad:

Buck Snort
07-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Nice truck! However by the looks of things, you might be driving the family minivan a little more often. Ha ha just joking. Enjoy the family and truck.

fabiodriven
07-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Just took my 7.3 two thousand miles to Trikefest and back. I can't say enough good things about the 7.3 Power Stroke. It pulled a triple-axle, 35 foot toy hauler and did it flawlessly (aside from a brake light switch puking). Truck GVWR is 11k, it scaled out just under that at 10,700 and change distributed perfectly. Trailer was scaling out at around 13k so our combined GVWR was over 23,000lbs, which is huge. It's up and over the mountains each way and that truck sang up and down them both ways. The 7.3 is by far the best small truck diesel in existence in my opinion.